Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Postby dsebik » Fri Jan 07, 2011 04:10 pm

by dsebik (2 Posts), Fri Jan 07, 2011 04:10 pm

hi i am new here and just trying to understand more about preeclampsia..i am currently 30 weeks pregnate with my 2nd child and was diagnosed with mild PE..the dr told me that is no way i am going to make it my due date in march but we are trying to hold off untill at 34 weeks....i was admitted to ***** hospital on wed dec 29 of 2010 and was just told at that my blood pressure was really high.i knew i had highg blood pressure because the dr had me on meds for it from the begining but appearnatly my body got used to it and it wasnt working anymore.i wasnt having any symptoms at all no blurry vision, headachs, pain or anything. the sweeling i was having i have even when im not preganate, while i wasa pregnante with my first child i had no problems at all so when i fould out about this i was scared and didnt know anything about it..i hope to learn more hile i am on here and i look forward to hearing from any of you with any advice or support...i live in anderson by the way..thank you and i look forward to hearing from you..
Last edited by caryn on Fri Jan 07, 2011 08:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove hospital name
dsebik

Re: newbie

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 08:44 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Fri Jan 07, 2011 08:44 pm

Welcome! Are you still on hospital bedrest or have you been released to home?

It sounds like you're a chronic hypertensive -- your blood pressure is high even when you are not pregnant. Chronics develop preeclampsia in one of every four pregnancies, so what you are experiencing is very common for women with your history. Medical researcher types say that's probably because your immune system is having trouble tolerating the foreign placenta, which doesn't share your genes but is sharing your blood supply.

I'm glad to hear that your docs are watching you closely. Have you been given steroid shots to speed up lung development in case delivery has to be early?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: newbie

Postby dsebik » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 am

by dsebik (2 Posts), Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 am

i am at home not on bed rest but i have pretty much put myself on bed rest, i havent done anything since i have been home..yes they gave me 2 shots of steroids to help his lungs and they said i will deliver early. the dr said that with some people the longer they stay pregnate the worse the blood pressure gets and they dont want mine to get to bad, they said we have to try and wait until at least 34 weeks which is only 3 weeks away.
dsebik

Return to South Carolina