What should I discuss with my new doctor?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

What should I discuss with my new doctor?

Postby shydee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:46 pm

I developed HELLP with my daughter in June 2009. I haven't even seen most of my lab work (anything that was done in the hospital, triage or admitted) but I'm pretty sure I was still class 3 when I started having liver pain and was rushed into surgery to deliver my daughter. I was diagnosed with PIH at 27 weeks, with Pre-e at 29 weeks (and admitted to the hospital), and my daughter was born on June 19 at 29w4d weighing 3lbs 7.5oz. She spent 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU and came home a healthy little girl and has barely even had a cold since. I recovered almost immediately and was off my BP meds in 3 weeks. I haven't even seen a doctor since my pp visit at 7 weeks. I know we are both very very lucky.

So now I have new health insurance and have a new family doctor. I saw him once many years ago but none of it had to do with pre-e or hellp. I want to discuss these with my doctor but not sure where to start. I plan to have another child within the next 2 or so years and want to get prepared for that. I also just want to start figuring out what long-term health issues might come up because of all of this. I know a lot of that is still being researched but I would love any advice or input you all have. Thank you!
Danielle
Mommy to Madelyn Sarah born at 29 weeks due to HELLP 6.19.09
shydee

Re: What should I discuss with my new doctor?

Postby shydee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

I requested my medical records from Kaiser and will be getting them next week. Really curious if I was still Class III or if I hit Class II before delivery. I'm getting a digital copy for myself and a paper copy for my doctor. I am still wondering what I should bring up with him... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Danielle
Mommy to Madelyn Sarah born at 29 weeks due to HELLP 6.19.09
shydee

Re: What should I discuss with my new doctor?

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 19, 2011 06:41 pm

If it was me this is what I would do (and your thought to bring the records was spot on!):

I would ask for them to do a 24 hr urine and I would keep a log of my BP's for the weeks prior to my appointment. Although you aren't yet pregnant you would be able to use the 24 hr urine as a 'baseline' for when you become pregnant - and the BP monitoring - well - that way you know for sure that your BP is prior to your appointment (sometimes going to the doc can make it kind of wonky).

If your insurance will approve it I would suggest having a perinatology consult - they see many more cases of PE/HELLP than most. They'd also be able to go into more depth of what your class was and suggest any preconception options that might exist - maybe there are some but maybe not - regardless you'll get all the information that you would need and build a great entrance into the right kind of doctor.

Good Luck.
Amanda
Samantha, Sydney & Anna Grace (33/5 - 2.13 ounces - 23 days in the NICU!
DX: Chronic Kidney Disease, Lupus, Hypertension
amanda
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders