Slow weight gain and genetic abnormalities - SUPPORT NEEDED

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re: Slow weight gain and genetic abnormalities - SUPPORT NEE

Postby glimmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Milesmommy and Amanda,
thanks for sharing your stories and worries.
We finally had the appointment with the pediatric genticist.
She confirmed that our daughter does not fit any known genetic syndrome. That's a relief!
However, she didn't say that she has nothing, but that it could be something extremely rare and/or subtle.
Well, I don't know what to make about that. I guess they can never give anyone the "all-clear".
They will run some further tests (the micro-array Jamie mentioned) and the results will take months...
All other tests have come back normal and healthy. I guess that's good, although the best-case scenario
would be something that can be easily fixed :-)

We tried pediasure - she liked it for three days and then cooled off. She will have a few sips and is then done.
I am experimenting right now with home-made smoothies with extra-cream and ice-cream right now. At least I like them a lot
better and it's me who finishes them.... (And I do not need extra-high calorie diet by the way...)
The cystic fibrosis has some receipies for high-calorie meals. They also test for cystic fibrosis, which came back negative.
Given that she only had one chest infection when everybody else in the family was sick as well, I had anticipated this result,
but it's still a plus.

My son fell from the 50% to the 12% and is now at 3 years 50% percentile again. But 12% is still a lot better than 0.01% percentile
or something like that. She is 17lb at 15.5 months and I have never seen a chart that show the lower percentiles.

Thanks a lot and good luck to you all.
glimmer

Postby glimmer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Amanda - there are a lot of cons to peeing in the potty. You have to bring extra-trousers everywhere
and there is another tool to exert control. Just wait a few more months....
:-)
glimmer

Postby milesymommy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 08:09 am

I forgot to mention... I add one scoop of toddler formula to a cup (6-9 oz) whole milk. One scoop is supposed to be mixed with 2 oz of water; I add it to milk because I think toddler formula is a rip-off; whole milk is fine for toddlers. But since I'm trying to maximize calories and nutrients, adding a little bit of it to whole milk just gives Josh a little extra nutrition and calories.

BTW, Josh is about a month older than your daughter. He weighs 21 pounds. His head circumference is ~ 60%, so that's half his weight. lol Most 9-12 month olds are bigger than he is, except his head. lol

I'm glad all the tests have come back negative!!

take care
Aimee
milesymommy

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....