Post Reply FAQ Members Login

2yr old Sleep Patterns

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

2yr old Sleep Patterns

Postby kallynsmom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 am

by kallynsmom (2 Posts), Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 am

My daughter is 2.5 years old. She was born at 33 weeks. She started sleeping through the night at 4 months old. She has always been a great sleeper, from 8pm to 8am. She reached 18 months and started climbing out of her crib, so we switched to a big girl bed. She did awesome for about 6 months. She hit 2 years old and it all ended.

The usual routine was dinner, tub, bed. We would put on light music (no nightlights) and she was out. At about 24 months she started opening doors. Namely the front door, but also her bedroom door. So we put toddler covers on the doors. Me in my stupidity, put one on the inside of her bedroom door and from that night on she would NOT sleep in her bedroom, at all!!I think I freaked her out.

So we took the cover off, she still wanted nothing to do with the room, even though she saw the cover was gone. She slept with us for a week or two, and we weren't getting any sleep. So we asked her where she wanted to sleep, she slept downstairs in her fathers recliner for the next 2 months.

There are also a set of bunk beds, for her sisters on the weekends, in the same bedroom as her bed. She then moved in the right direction by wanting to sleep in her sisters bed. But the down fall is she wanted to sleep in the top bunk. We allowed her to, just to get her back in to a real bed. She did well, no problems, for a month.

We're now at 2.5 years old now and she will go down at about 8:00-8:30pm without a problem, give or take a few nights she falls asleep with me on the couch. But will wake at about 1am and then off and on till about 4am. She will crawl down off the top bunk by herself go downstairs, climb in bed with me, sit in the hallway, cry for a random toy, want a light on, which she never wanted before, or want a movie on.

Both dad and I work in the morning and, for the most part its me that gets up in the middle of the night. It's making for a cranky mom and toddler. I made an appt to see her ped tomorrow to see what he thinks.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in!

Thanks, Meg
Mom to a 33 wk PRE-E, HELLP, IUGR, & double nuchal cord survivor, that is now almost 3 :)
kallynsmom

Re: 2yr old Sleep Patterns

Postby mnmom » Sun Jan 23, 2011 09:50 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Sun Jan 23, 2011 09:50 am

Hi Meg!
Your post brought back memories. Believe me, in about 10 years you will be able to laugh about this as you try and drag her out of bed before noon. Not much help now, though, I know! My first daughter did the same thing after her baby sister was born, and we spiraled into a crazy sleep pattern for a few years. But- I wasn't very good about the whole follow through. We could get her to start in her bed, but she would end up in our room at some point. Finally just put out a sleeping bag for her on our floor. That seemed to disrupt us the least......Good luck. In the meantime, coffee works wonders!
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies