Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How did you find your MFM

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

How did you find your MFM

Postby cmccaffrey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 pm

It's getting close to the time when my husband and I decided to make an appointment with an MFM for a preconception visit.
I have gotten a few recommendations, one from my OB (I actually saw her recommendation while I was in the hospital with my son, but I cannot find a lot of information about her) and then another from my hematologist (who actually went through 2 extremely difficult pregnancies with his wife and used this doctor). Our insurance also plays a big role because I of course want someone who is covered by our insurance.... but I am just so nervous to pick someone who is terrible.... how can I even tell?
How did you chose your high risk doctor?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: How did you find your MFM

Postby rosalinda » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm

I liked the peri who treated me while I was on hospital bedrest in 2007 so I just naturally chose her when the time came to try again.
I did have one appt with a different peri in the practice and did not like her one bit, so after that I just made sure to schedule all of
my appointments with the peri I liked.

I'm sure you can ask for a consult with two or three docs and then decide..you'll be seeing a lot of him/her and trusting their judgment,
so make sure that they LISTEN to you & your concerns. Good luck.
-Elissa, January 2007: stillborn at 25 weeks, severe PE, IUGR, reverse-end diastolic flow
- Chronic hypertension as of November 2007
-missed miscarriage Feb 2009
- Ismael Jaden, June 2010, 36 wks, oligohydramnios & rising BP's, my wonderful little man & the love of my life
- Janelle, September 2011, 24wks, 3days. complete placental abruption & DIC, stillborn
rosalinda

Postby kerisue » Sat Feb 19, 2011 00:11 am

Well I have to choose one covered by my insurance. I saw a bunch of them from the same practice as my OB during the last week of my pregnancy and right after delivery. One of them said "this doesn't have to be the story of pregnancy for you. come see me if you ever want to get pregnant again." He was the only one who said anything like that so I chose him on the spot!
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Feb 19, 2011 02:13 am

That's the kind of MFM I want, Kerisue!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby angieb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 09:29 am

Sorry I'm replying a little late, I just saw this.

My ob actually used my MFM as her doctor for both of her pregnancies which were both later onset pre-eclamptic. I decided to be co-managed with my OB and MFM, so it works out well that they are buddies. (My MFM thinks very highly of my OB and even said that there aren't many OB's that she will co-manage with, but she is very comfortable with me also seeing my OB. And obviously OB thinks highly of MFM since she delivered 2 of her kids.)

I also used websites like ratemymd.com and just general online reviews for a general idea. Websites like that are going to attract more bad stories then good, but it's okay as a general idea. Also, if you have any infant loss support groups or anything like that, you can get a decent idea of doctors people liked and don't like there.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby flipflop76 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 am

Mine was affiliated with our hospital, and pretty much the only one in our region. He was great. By the time I had my daughter there was another dr in his practice but I didn't care for him too much. All in all I knew that they were taking good care of me and working closely with my OB/GYN.
Jacob - Born via c-section at 36 weeks due to HELLP syndrome
Sarah - Born at 39 weeks, hypertensive during pregnancy but no HELLP!
flipflop76

Return to Misc