Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Red skin tone

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Red skin tone

Postby l412angel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Carter turns red from time to time, doctors said normal...anyone else experience this?
Laura Angel (Factor V Leiden)
Mommy to Cara Angel 2LBS 11OZ 16 IN. Born at 30 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP.
"My life went with you sweetheart the day angels called you home"

Our Rainbow Baby Carter born March 5 2011 7lbs 7oz 20.5in 36 weeks 4days PE FREE

Baby #3 due June 2012
l412angel

Re: Red skin tone

Postby kathrynb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Yes, Jacob gets really red too. They also told us it was normal but I don't know what causes it. My mother-in-law said that my husband was the exact same way when he was a baby.
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches
kathrynb

Re: Red skin tone

Postby tree » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 pm

My daughter is really fair, and she used to turn red or even kind of purple fairly often when she was a newborn. Her doctor told us that it is normal because newborns have poor circulation. I remember that it stopped for a few months and then happened again the first time she got sick and had a fever. I thought it was really spooky, and I am glad she stopped. It is normal, but you don't have to like it.
Congrats on bringing your little guy home! I think your swaddle question was in a different thread, but I can't remember where. We used the Swaddle Wraps, which make instant baby burritos. It was cold when my daughter came home, so we would wrap her in a blanket, then the swaddler and put that inside the sleep sack. Halo makes sleep sacks that have the swaddlers sewn on the outside now too. My daughter loved to be tightly swaddled until she outgrew the wrap. I know other babies who preferred to have their arms out, so try it both ways until you figure out what he likes. We didn't use any monitors because she came home on a small amount of O2. Her doctor encouraged me to use that as my excuse not to worry, so I did.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....