Hello, I have been gone for too long...
Our son Nathanael was stillborn at 38 weeks, December 31, 2006, due to placental abruption and sudden development of HELLP syndrome. I had the worst class of HELLP (don't remember if that is Class 1 or not). My platelets and liver have since recovered but I was on dialysis for 3.5 months. My kidneys have mostly recovered but my Creatinine is still at 1.7 (normal is <1.0). It took about 1.5 years for my Creatinine to get to 2.0. Because of this my doctors advised me not to become pregnant again. I'm also still hypertensive but it is controlled with medication.
So, my husband and I started the process of domestic adoption. That was in Dec. 2007 and we are still waiting...we have been on a list for 2 years now.
We just applied to a different adoption agency and received a rejection letter today. So we'll continue with the same agency we have been working with for the last 3 years.
The thought of another pregnancy has crossed our minds a few times. The biggest concern is that my kidneys will worsen and I'll end up on dialysis again or even lose my life.
Do I dare think about getting pregnant again? We visited a MFM a few months after I delivered Nathanael and at that time he told us that he didn't want to run any of the blood tests recommended until my creatinine was below 2.0. Because we ended up choosing to adopt, we never did go back to talk with him.
Then there is the fact that I'm now 39 and that is another risk factor.
We are so frustrated now! Are there any of you out there that have gone through the decision of becoming pregnant again even though your kidneys were not 100%?
I'm currently on 2 BP medications and vitamin D supplementation.
Mother to Nathanael James born still 12/31/2006 at 38 weeks. Class I HELLP sydrome, placental abruption, acute kidney failure.
Expecting again-due date August 16, 2013 (Folic Acid, LDA, Prenatal vitamins, BP meds, Vitamin D)