New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Increasing milk supply

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Increasing milk supply

Postby kathrynb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 02:41 pm

So when Jacob was first born (3 weeks ago) he couldn't nurse so I started pumping. Then after 5 days, I started letting him nurse but still pumped after he nursed so that they could give him breast milk at night while I wasn't with him. I did that for 6 days and was producing way more milk than I needed. Well, he came home and I was just nursing him. So I hadn't pumped in about 9 days. Then we went to an appoint with his pediatrician and found out that he lost an ounce when they expected him to gain 5 ounces. So the doctor said to let him nurse as much as he wants but to offer a bottle after each feeding. I started trying to pump again and I am not getting nearly as much as I was before. I haven't even been getting enough to offer him breast milk after each feeding. I have enough to do breast milk much of the time, but have to do formula a few times a day.

I am trying to eat lots of protein and calcium and drink lots of water. I am pumping about every 2-3 hours. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Will my milk supply increase again if I just stick with it? Is there anything else I can do to try to get more milk?
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches
kathrynb

Re: Increasing milk supply

Postby amandaoasis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 09:20 pm

First, congrats on Jacob's arrival!

Your milk supply should come back up, especially if you are nursing and pumping.

Have you spoken with a lactation consultant? If you can, I would do a feed and weigh session. They will weigh Jacob before a feeding, you will feed him, and then they will weigh him again after. That way you can determine if he is efficiently transferring milk. The lactation consultant may also be able to recommend some herbs that might help.

I have also noticed that oatmeal (especially the steel cut variety) makes my supply feel more abundant. There are a lot of women who swear by it.

Good luck!
Amanda, mom to:
Bennett, born 11/24/08 at 31 weeks 2 days due to HELLP. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches
Vivian, born 10/28/10 at 39 weeks 1 day. Induced due to mildly creeping BP's. 7 lbs. 10oz. 20 inches.

2011 Denver Promise Walk and 5K Run Co-coordinator
Register here:

http://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundeve ... ffundid=28
amandaoasis

Postby m » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 pm

When I needed to increase my supply, my doctor prescribed a week's worth of Reglan and it really seemed to help. It is an acid reflux drug which has the side effect of stimulating milk production.
DS 2/5/09 - 2/13/09; severe PE at 28 weeks
DD March 2010; PIH, preterm labor at 36 weeks, 10 days NICU
m

Postby tree » Tue Mar 15, 2011 08:55 pm

amandaoasis wrote:First, congrats on Jacob's arrival!

Your milk supply should come back up, especially if you are nursing and pumping.

Have you spoken with a lactation consultant? If you can, I would do a feed and weigh session. They will weigh Jacob before a feeding, you will feed him, and then they will weigh him again after. That way you can determine if he is efficiently transferring milk. The lactation consultant may also be able to recommend some herbs that might help.

I have also noticed that oatmeal (especially the steel cut variety) makes my supply feel more abundant. There are a lot of women who swear by it.

Good luck!

Just seconding the suggestion to talk to a LC soon. I had supply problems that I couldn't fix, and I think it was because I didn't try soon enough. Yours should come back with pumping and nursing, and Reglan could help if that doesn't do it.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby kellyo19 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 08:46 pm

Kellymom.com is a good website to check out... it was a lifesaver for me (and no, I'm not related to the website owner). I used More Milk Plus from motherlove.com - it saved my nursing relationship several times for me. Also in my community there's a Amazing Newborn clinic once a wk where they can do weight checks and an LC is available for help, they were wonderful in helping me get my son's latch corrected.

As you pump and nurse, your supply should bounce back up. Nursing is a supply-demand situation. It might take 2-3 days to get full effect. One thing I did - at night my son didn't want to nurse both sides so I'd end up w/ 1 deflated and 1 bursting and leaking :roll: so while he nursed on 1, I pumped on the other and ended up with several ounces to stick in the fridge for later (and he nursed better... the noise of my medela PISA kept him awake longer :D )

You are hopefully using a double electric pump like the Medela PISA? they tend to work better than smaller electrics or a hand pump. If its medela, after 2-3 mos you need to change the little white membranes, Babies R Us and Target carry them, you can also order online at their website. If you can't afford a brand new PISA, you might have luck on ebay or craigslist with a new or slightly used system.

Feel free to email me direct if you want. Put "PE Forum milk supply" on subject line so I don't think its spam.
2005: PE/IUGR pregnancy with Daughter, born 40+2 induction. Diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (or Sensory Integration Dysfunction) in 2010. Diagnosed with ADHD in 2011. It's getting better with OT and treatment!
2009: PIH pregnancy with Son, born 38+5. Diagnosed in 2011 as Developmental Language Delays, Social-Emotional-Communication Delays. More testing Nov. 2011.
2011: I'm undergoing neurological testing. Praying for the best!
kellyo19

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 03:32 pm

I second the kellymom.com, awesome website for nursing moms! Great tips and if those don't work, talk w/your doc! Good luck!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN
lilysmommymindy

Postby kathrynb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 09:35 pm

Thank you for all of the tips! Jacob hasn't had formula in 4 days so my milk supply is on the upswing! I started eating oatmeal every day. I also started taking the herb Fenugreek. I did talk to a lactation consultant. She asked about medicine I am taking. She pointed out that one of them, micronor, is the best birth control for breastfeeding and most women don't have problems with it but she said some people are more sensitive. I stopped taking it and noticed a big difference within about 2 days. I am not back to having a freezer stash (hopefully that will come with time) but I am able to at least provide him with enough breast milk each day. Thanks again!
Kathryn

Jacob Daniel Feb 18, 2011 born at 34 weeks due to severe PE, 11 days in the NICU.
5 lbs, 5 oz and 18 inches
kathrynb

Postby aajatwins » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Congrats on baby! I was going to suggest the Fenugreek - It worked really well for me, even though I couldn't stand the house smelling like maple syrup! I wanted to share something I learned from a La Leche League leader, though. If you ever have a struggle with baby's weight again, pump for about 5 minutes before you nurse. Don't pump everything out, just pump a little. The big fatty milk that we supply is at the very end of the nursing session. So if you pump first, you get the skinny milk out and baby gets the fatty milk instead! Ok, those are definitely not technical terms, but I can't remember what all she said (that was 18 months ago) and that is the gist of it. I'm sure a lactation consultant (or another League leader) could explain it a lot better, but it's great info to know when baby is very little and doc wants to supplement with formula.
I hope it continues to go well for you both!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....