Allergies and preemies?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Allergies and preemies?

Postby Preemiemommy07 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 05:23 pm

Hi Everyone--aka: Mommysangel (couldn't find my information to log bck in) :oops: Hope all your peanuts are doing well! DD was born at 29 wks 3 dys and this past August 2010 she was diagnosed with dust mite, seasonal and chocolate allergy. Luckly, the dust mite and seasonal are controlled by Allegra and the chocolate allergy isn't severe she just has to stay away from all chocolate. :D We were never big on giving her candy and chocolate before it just happened she got some brownie under her icecream and she broke out insantly. She will also be tested very shortly for a sugar allergy since she breaks out from sprinkles and frosting people put on cookies.

I am wondering if its very common for a preemie to get allergies esp to foods?
Preemiemommy07

Re: Allergies and preemies?

Postby lennoxlm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 04:15 pm

I was wondering the same thing, my son was born at 36 weeks and he has nut allergies, dairy allergies and he is allergic to animal dander. I have two other children who have no problems. I hope you are able to find out everything you need to know from the doctors, ours are waiting until he gets a little older.
lennoxlm

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 05:59 pm

As I understand it it's not common because they're preemies, but because they have the sorts of immune systems that make them more likely to be premature. :) Like they are more likely to have inherited your genetic hyperactive immune system/ predisposition to chronic hypertension/ autoimmune conditions.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby danielsmom » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 am

I bet it's not sugar, it might be food dye, especially in higher concentrations. Sometimes it's not really an allergy, but a sensitivity or a tolerance to certain foods.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Return to Parents of Preemies