Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anybody else not have PE symptoms and just start seizing?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Anybody else not have PE symptoms and just start seizing?

Postby fiveisanawfullybignumber » Fri Mar 18, 2011 03:58 pm

by fiveisanawfullybignumber (9 Posts), Fri Mar 18, 2011 03:58 pm

Hi, new here, based in the UK but not much in the way of an active support forum over here.
Had no proper PE symptoms, then suddenly seized when in early labour at 38 weeks. Was my 5th child so totally unexpected.
I had some swelling on my hands for a few weeks but lots of women do, my BP never went any higher than 78 diastolic.
Apparently the word Eclampsia is a Greek word meaning 'bolt from the blue'. It truly was for me and I'm struggling to come to terms with it, no warnings, no nothing. I want someone or something to blame, but there's nothing, just my hazy memories playing over and over in my head.
Was hooked up to mag drip, fluids, 15min BP checks, everything. Surprised docs by seizing a 2nd time whilst on mag, but finaly delivered my baby girl naturaly with the help of a syntocin drip.
I had Eclampsia first followed by the pre Eclampsia symptoms. :?
I have very few memories of that day apart from not having ther strength to even hold my beautiful girl till the next day. Bedbound with a catheter and epidural in place for at least 24hrs after labour, as platelets were so low they couldn't take it out.
I feel very lucky, looking at other stories that we both survived, but am watching my baby like a hawk to make sure she's developing properly. Worried if there is some damage from hypoxia when I was seizing.
She's 10m now and developing well, if a little slowly, just sitting & a bit of bum shuffling now.
Anyone else had a similar experience? I feel a kind of fake being here as my experience seems to be so different to most womens. :? :oops:
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Re: Anybody else not have PE symptoms and just start seizing

Postby aajatwins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:40 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:40 pm

Eclampsia is definitely just the seizures, exactly like the word means. I was confused for a long time about what happened to me because of all the other stories I read on here. Mine is similar to yours, although everyone's is truly different.
My twin boys were my first pregnancy, so I had no previous experience to base anything off of (and really didn't know anyone else who had been pregnant with twins, it doesn't run in mine or my husbands families). I had creeping BPs (my normal is 90/60) from about 22 weeks, I think. My husband would always ask if it was getting a little too high and we were always told that it was high for me, but "not that high." I had no reason to believe differently, I trusted my doctors. I struggled with preterm labor from week 28 on, so my OB finally agreed to induce at 36 weeks. The two days before induction, I had a headache that wouldn't go away. The night before induction, I saw "stars" when I was in the shower. I had horrible swelling in the last week. But it was July and I was pregnant with twins and I'm only 5 feet tall, so all of that seemed pretty normal to me. At induction, the nurse told me my BP was kind of high (138/85) and asked if I'd had a headache or any vision changes - I told her those things and she just said that they would watch me. I got my epidural and had my water broken and things were progressing quickly. I was at 5cm just about 45 minutes later. Then I had a seizure and went unresponsive. They did an emergency c-section and as soon as the 2nd baby was out, I seized again and was put under general anesthesia while they did an MRI and found an ICU that would give me anti-seizure drugs. I was out for most of the day. I spent 2 days in the ICU and then got moved back to L&D, where one of my twin boys came to stay in the room with us. My BPs were unstable for the next 3 days, but I was sent home after that and haven't had any trouble with it since.
So I did have symptoms, but no one recognized them and I didn't know enough about PE to know what they were. Looking back, can you think of any times you had any symptoms like that before labor? I know it's hard to remember after the fact, especially with a traumatic delivery! It kind of makes everything cloudy.
I'm glad you and baby are both ok. My boys never showed signs of distress and none of my complications had any affect on them at all. I'm so thankful for that.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby fiveisanawfullybignumber » Sat Mar 19, 2011 03:39 pm

by fiveisanawfullybignumber (9 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 03:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. It's so good to 'meet' someone who understands what happened. So glad your boys are thriving. :D
Apparently by booking BP with midwife was 100/70, to be honest I realy think she could have written it down wrong as I'm usually about 60 diastolic same as you. In the UK we now have new NICE guidelines to say if the changes are above 15 then to be monitored more carefully.
I had my hospital debrief on Thursday, they basically said it could not have been predicted or prevented, it was a true Eclamptic event, followed by the symptoms.
I won't be having any more babies now, I've done my thing 5 times now and my eldest has just started University (college for you i think), so I have enough on my hands. Plus my husband booked in for his vasectomy the day we came home from hospital. I think a week looking after 4 of them and thinking his wife was going to die and leave him with 5 was the spur that he needed. He'd always refused before, that's how we went over our magic number of 4. ;)
I have Florence's 10m development check on Monday, just know I'm going to end up a gibbering wreck with the health visitor. Thankfully she knows me from previous children and knows I'm not always like this, just with my little miracle dud. :oops:
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Postby fiveisanawfullybignumber » Sat Mar 19, 2011 03:41 pm

by fiveisanawfullybignumber (9 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 03:41 pm

OOh, just noticed you're due again. Good luck with this pregnancy, take it easy and I hope they are watching you like a hawk to keep you safe.xx
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Postby aajatwins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 08:37 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 08:37 pm

I'm hoping I can talk to my OB about this great new PE website and get her onboard with the rule about not going 15 over your normal BP. I will definitely be speaking up if I get uncomfortable with my numbers. But being my second pregnancy & only one baby my chances *should* be less. then again, since I've had the problem before, it raises my chances. But I'm very comfortable with my doctors - they did save our lives!

that is so strange that your case was so totally unpredictable. Mine definitely made sense in hindsight, but I'm not even sure the doctor knows how everything fits together, really. From reading over the posts on this board, it happens so many different ways. I guess just like we're all different, our bodies all handle it differently.

I was definitely a mess for about 6 months after the boys were born, too. It took me a long time to come to a peace about the delivery. It truly changed how we view life!
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby fiveisanawfullybignumber » Tue Mar 22, 2011 09:19 am

by fiveisanawfullybignumber (9 Posts), Tue Mar 22, 2011 09:19 am

I know what you mean about changing the way you view life. I used to work part time, a couple of days a week, but I'm not going back now. Just want to be with my baby, and the other kids as much as possible. It means a fair few sacrifices financialy but it's definitely worth it!

Have you come across any situations that have brought back unpleasant memories or feelings from your eclampsia?
I got a big shock yesterday, took my daughter for her 10m check and the midwifes (pre-natal) clinic was on at the same time.
I haven't seen the community midwife since just before the birth, she was strangely unavailable after and they sent someone else out to do my post natal care. She came out to waiting room to collect her next patient and we just looked at each other, she asked me how I was and said Florence was beautiful. I felt physically sick, when the Child Health Visitor came out a few mins later I was nearly in tears and shaking. Don't know where that extreme reaction came form but I felt awful, HV thinks I need to talk to someone about birth trauma. :?
I think I feel she should have maybe picked up on something during the end of my pregnancy. I kept telling her I felt awful and was really uneasy and scared about this pregnancy. I kept telling her that my BP was really high for me at this stage of pregnancy, but it was within normal guidelines so she said not to worry. I had no ideas about PE then, just felt awful.
Trying to have a positive day today, will take my 2 young girls to soft play with a friend for company and support. :)
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Postby aajatwins » Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:09 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Tue Mar 22, 2011 02:09 pm

I hate that you felt that way just seeing the midwife. I've heard a lot of people say they have those feelings just driving by the hospital and things like that. I've not had that experience. My worst days are when I'm talking with friends about childbirth and everyone shares how amazing it is and how they did it without drugs and what a beautiful experience they've had (several times for each mom). I just can't even add anything to that conversation - I just get tears in my eyes knowing what I missed out on. It's much worse now that I'm pregnant again, too. I have only seen another OB in the practice, not my actual doctor, so I haven't talked to her about it... but I want so badly to have a vaginal birth!! I believe it's possible, but it will all depend on my BP and how my body handles this baby. On the other hand, though, I'd gladly take a c-section where I'm concious and will remember the birth of my child over what I had last time. It's just hard not to be thankful to God over all the little things He provides everyday!
Hubby (27)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby fiveisanawfullybignumber » Fri Mar 25, 2011 03:24 am

by fiveisanawfullybignumber (9 Posts), Fri Mar 25, 2011 03:24 am

Hi, just checking in to see how you're doing. I thought of you yesterday when reading online about a fellow PE sufferer in the UK who is pregnant again. She had an umbillical doppler to measure how good placental blood flow is and to see if there are any notches.
Unfortunately there are so she is at increased risk of PE again, but has got through to 30w now so is feeling slightly more relieved.
Has your doctor spoken to you about this? Is it something you could request?
Hope you're ok over there. Waiting for a referal here to talk to someone about birth trauma, think it's time! Not sure whether you're on facebook or not, if so, have a look for me, Odette Ralph, picture of little Florence not me though. Take care.x
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Postby libby123 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 03:31 pm

by libby123 (111 Posts), Thu Jun 09, 2011 03:31 pm

Everyone has their different normal BPs and BP tolerance levels. My normal BP is in the 130s/80s, and I went as high as 170/110 during my pregnancy without feeling bad at all or having any seizing issues!
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.
libby123

Postby aajatwins » Fri Jun 10, 2011 02:28 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Fri Jun 10, 2011 02:28 pm

Odette! I'm so sorry I'm just now seeing your post from March!! I searched your name on facebook, but couldn't find you - look for me, Anna Jordan Alaniz.

It looks like PE (or PIH or anything other version) is going to hold off pretty well this time for me. My BP is super low and has been since I got pregnant. (Like 80s/50s... so strange!) But I've read lately that's what is supposed to happen during pregnancy - BP should drop from conception to the halfway mark and then climb slowly back up to normal around delivery. I would never have thought/known that! I wonder if that kind of ultrasound is the kind we would have ordered here in the US for IUGR - it would be a high resolution u/s probably. This big boy I'm having is measuring 5 days ahead (again, unheard of!), so that's probably not an issue for me. I'm still being seen at 4 week intervals, but the OB said this week that I'll get sick of her pretty quickly after my next appointment. So I'm assuming she's just waiting for my BP to start creeping up in the 3rd trimester. But so far, so good.

I hope the counseling you got was helpful. and I hope your sweet #5 had a happy first birthday!!
Hubby (27)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....