Prophylaxis of recurrent preeclampsia

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Prophylaxis of recurrent preeclampsia

Postby sam10 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 09:59 pm

Even though this study is a few years old, I find it still interesting. I could not find any other studies to contradict this. Following the results of this study, shouldn't then all women during subsequent pregnancies be taking LDA plust Heparin (Lovenox)? From what I read on these boards not everybody is on Lovenox, but almost everybody is taking LDA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term ... in%20Alone
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Prophylaxis of recurrent preeclampsia

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 01:46 am

I asked my MFM and hematologist about this recently and they both basically said it depends on wether or not the effects of being on anticoagulants outweighs the effects of preeclampsia. I will be on lovenox and LDA because of early onset preeclampsia and for having a blood clot in my leg postpartum. Both of those out weigh the risk of being on anticoagulants in my situation... but I guess some others don't have it so bad? I'm not really sure. I didn't think I had it so bad until my doctors basically had to spell it out for me. Have you asked your doctor? I am curious to see what other people have to say about this.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby kerisue » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 am

I don't really know how to evaluate these studies, but I was able to find the whole study and noticed that it was a pretty small sample of women and was not randomized as to which group they were in. It also didn't seem like they did much matching between the 2 groups as to age, bmi, time between pregnancies, etc. I will be seeing a Peri again in April and will bring this up with him though. So far the two Peris I have seen have both said no to the LMWH just citing not enough evidence of its benefit, but it sure seems to work around here (anecdotally).
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby jean » Wed Mar 23, 2011 08:39 am

My Ob doesn't want me on LDA in a sub. pg....just feel so hopeless :~(
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby kerisue » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 pm

I get why docs would say no to the lovenox, but why'd they say no to the LDA Jean? I know it's not a silver bullet, but everything I've read seems to say it does more good than harm.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News