tonsils out

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

tonsils out

Postby bernadic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 06:41 am

Hi ladies. Luke has to have his tonsils out ASAP. We are on a wait list. We are definitely scheduled for April 11, but he has to be on antibiotics until then. Anyone been on antibiotics for more than 20 days? That is just so upsetting. His poor tummy. We have been on and off antibiotics since Feb 2. The dr prescribed a probiotic and said to up his Mirlax. Any advice?

If your little ones had their tonsils out, any words of wisdom? What did you feed him/her? What did you do at home as I was told to stay home with him for 10 days-no daycare. My mom cannot help and the in-laws don't live around my area. DH does not get sick time, just unpaid time so that is not an option. I am stressed at 10 days out as a teacher of 3rd and 4th grade. Getting enough work for them to do is a nightmare!

Any thoughts?
bernadic

Re: tonsils out

Postby tree » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:09 pm

I am sorry you have to go through this. We did some long runs of antibiotics last year, and it was tough. Fortunately, my daughter was willing/able to eat a lot of yogurt. She also seemed to like her formula with added acidopholus powder. She was okay as long as we kept up with the various probiotics. The diaper rash and diarrhea were the worst side effects for her. Are you sure your son needs more Miralax while on the meds?
I hope you can find a childcare solution. We had three six week breaks from daycare last year, and I started flying my Mom out to help after a while. My husband and I ran out of leave pretty quickly, and we were able to get good deals on flights. We also started looking for a temporary nanny and ended up (very happily) with a full-time nanny so we could stop dealing with day care crud for a year or two. Is there a chance that you could find a temporary sitter or something for the last half of his recovery? We don't have any family in the area, and I know it can be really stressful to find emergency childcare.
My friend's son had to get his tonsils and adenoids out at two, and he is a much healthier kid now. She said he had some pain, but it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with popsicles after the first day or two. He immediately started sleeping better, stopped snoring, stopped having asthma symptoms, and said he felt better.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Re: tonsils out

Postby bernadic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 04:33 pm

Thanks for your input. My son has stomach issues and the antibiotics makes it worse so that is why we are keeping him on Mirlax. The dr even said to up the dose if necessary. Good idea about the yogurt. We are giving him a chewable pro-biotics. I just want this to be done and over with!
bernadic

Return to Parents of Preemies