Post Reply FAQ Members Login

baby born at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re: baby born at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia

Postby sam10 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:22 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:22 pm

If you feel so poorly, I'd call in and let the doctors know.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby SeattleMom » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 am

by SeattleMom (67 Posts), Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 am

Hi,
My daughter was born at 31 weeks and 2lb 9oz. She was on CPAP for 2 days and then just the nasal cannula for a period of time after that. I didn't get to see her until day 2 because I was also on Mag which made the bonding process harder. I felt a little unattached to my baby for the first few weeks but still made a conscious effort to go visit, ask questions, etc. Ask the nurses to let you do kangaroo care. I started doing that daily and it really helped me feel more bonded to her. I think having a baby in the NICU and not being able to hold them, care for them, etc. is all very unnatural and it does make the bonding process harder. You will bond with him eventually so don't fear. My daughter is almost 4 now and is a perfectly healhty little girl. There were a lot of worries at first but we came through it and so will you.
SeattleMom

Postby nikkibee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 00:16 am

by nikkibee (24 Posts), Sun Mar 27, 2011 00:16 am

new development is that i've started feeling like i have post-partum depression. i've had a few days of just non-stop crying and for a few days i couldn't visit the NICU, i was afraid i'd just bawl my eyes out because i couldn't even THINK about my baby without crying. i've been having a hard time with having to leave him in the NICU and not being able to bring him home. my OB has called in the meds i was on prior to being pregnant and i'm hoping they will help.

ugh...hyperemesis, pre-eclampsia, and now PPD...will the horrors of this pregnancy ever end?
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU
nikkibee

Postby UNCMommy1977 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

by UNCMommy1977 (1 Posts), Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

My little girl was 2 pounds and 15 ounces and was born at 33 weeks. She was in the Special Care nursery for 28 days. I got sick for a couple of days when she was in the hospital and was not able to see her. I remember asking my husband to bring back one of her blankets so I could smell her and I cried and cried. I felt so bad that I wasn't there to take care of her. So I totally understand. I pumped too and that helped me feel like I was helping my baby. It was only a couple of weeks before they started letting her nurse a little bit. She is 17 months old now. She is over 18 pounds. Totally healthy and happy. Take advantage of the time that your baby is in the hospital to take care of yourself and recover. You have been through a lot. Sleep well. Eat well. Get your house organized. Your baby is coming home and sooner than you think and then you will definitely be mama. Hang in there.
UNCMommy1977

Postby nikkibee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 03:13 pm

by nikkibee (24 Posts), Fri Apr 01, 2011 03:13 pm

i'm just having an awful time. i cry a LOT. definitely postpartum depression. i'm on new meds and just waiting for them to start working. some nights i just feel like i can't go to the NICU, it's just too much for me...but when my husband leaves to go visit, i cry and cry because i feel so horribly guilty. :/ i don't know how to stop the guilt and lately i really hate myself because i don't go every night.
mama to nathan, born 3/10/11 via c-section at 32 weeks due to PIH/pre-eclampsia (2lbs 15oz) currently in NICU
nikkibee

Postby trish » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 pm

(((HUGS))) How are you feeling today? I'm glad you got some meds to help with the PPD - do you feel like they're starting to help? Having a new baby is hard enough emotionally but with the added stress of the NICU it can just be overwhelming. Hang in there! How's Nathan doing?
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby nikkibee » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 pm

by nikkibee (24 Posts), Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 pm

i think the meds might be starting to help, it's only been about a week so i know i have a ways to go. i went to visit tonight for the first time in about 3 days (MASSIVE GUILT!) and he's doing really well.

as much as i want him home, i'm also terrified of it because i have NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING! i'm afraid of the crying and how i'll handle it, especially the kind where nothing is wrong and they just won't stop. so yeah, it's so much on my mind...
nikkibee

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies