Why did they keep checking my blood after my csec?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Why did they keep checking my blood after my csec?

Postby jean » Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:08 am

When I got hellp, the nurses continued to test and check my blood even after my c-section. Does anyone know why? I just wonder b/c I know there's nothing more that can be done after you deliver. (And I ask because I'm needle phobic...my arms were so bruised and sore from my platelets being low, and even though I was on morphine, it was causing me a lot of extra pain and stress..)
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: Why did they keep checking my blood after my csec?

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:13 am

They did the same with me. I *think* it was to ensure that my levels were reversing, and I required three platelet transfusions during the section so to probably make sure I didn't need more. They took tons of blood but the csection did the trick and everything slowly went back to normal. But yeah, pretty sure they're just keeping tabs on the progress. We'll see what others think!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN
lilysmommymindy

Postby eleni » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:20 am

Although it is less common, preeclampsia - including HELLP - can get worse post partum. Those first 48 hours especially are critical so it's not surprising that your health care providers want to be careful. Keep the long view in mind and hang in there! Wear your bruises as your "badge of courage" ;)

Eleni
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.
eleni
Site Admin

Postby jean » Mon Apr 04, 2011 05:54 pm

Yeah I've read that it can get worse postpartum, but I didn't think that anything more could be done for you after you deliver (?)
This is off topic kind of, but lilysmommymindy-what do they do with a transfusion? Put blood in your sytem through an IV? I was just curious.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby jenprzygoda » Mon Apr 04, 2011 06:24 pm

My HELLP got worse after my c-section and they gave me two units of platelets the day AFTER my son was born. I think that they check to much to determine if there is anything that they can do to help while your body is getting better after deliver.
jenprzygoda

Postby lilysmommymindy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 07:36 pm

Yup, I was still under the knife and they were attempting to close things up, I was pretty drugged up and the mag definitely made me groggy but I remember hearing them order type specific platelets, they used three units by the end, all IV. The blood draw they took after the csection revealed my platelets were really low (even after the transfusions) and told me if we had waited any longer they would've had to put me under general anesthesia. Luckily, my body began to heal pretty quickly and I didn't need anymore platelets. It was pretty scary hearing the drs order it and I remember them saying 'she's oozing,' again and again. I'm so grateful to those platelet donors, I really want to donate so I can help others! Anyway, im blabbing...sorry!
Mindy

DD#1 Lily Adrianna: 8/28/08 Born 36wks 0days due to Class 2 HELLP Syndrome and Severe Preeclampsia via csection. 4lbs 10oz 17in
Fortunate to have a healthy baby and mommy, no NICU needed.

DD#2: Tatum Nicole: 8/6/10 Born 39wks 5days Scheduled CSection Preeclampsia and HELLP FREE!
7lbs 3oz 20in
Took Baby Asprin between weeks 20-36 and was co-monitored by MFM & OBGYN
lilysmommymindy

Postby kmb1419 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:31 pm

This happened to me as well. I remember asking them if they could please use my other arm as I was all black and blue. Because of the IV, they couldn't. I remember thinking that I looked like a druggie with all those needle marks. Ugh! It was horrible. I'm sorry it stressed you out.
kmb1419

Postby tracym » Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:35 pm

They will still treat HELLP post delivery. They're trying to save your life, they're not going to just get the baby out and call it quits. Whether or not those treatments are effective is a seperate issue but if you survived then you can say they were.
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)
tracym

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders