Gracie's birth and death certificates

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Gracie's birth and death certificates

Postby flori » Mon May 09, 2011 05:15 pm

As I posted before, the funeral home called on Saturday afternoon to let me know Gracie's death certificate was ready to be picked up. Because we didn't want to go on Mother's Day, we decided to go today. We also decided to go by the courthouse to pick up a copy of her birth certificate and our marriage certificate.

I almost cried when she asked if the birth certificate was correct. It has DECEASED stamped right in the middle of it. I didn't expect to see it, so it caught me by surprise. After a while I got upset. I know she died, but why couldn't she at least have a normal birth certificate? :(

When we went to pick up her death certificate I let myself cry as I read it. One of the listed causes of her death is "maternal hypertension". I already felt guilty about getting preeclampsia, but to see it on an official document is a slap in the face.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Re: Gracie's birth and death certificates

Postby kerisue » Mon May 09, 2011 06:01 pm

Flori, I haven't been able to look at Millie's death certificate for that very reason. I have a copy of her birth certificate issued before she died. I know that vital stats has now re-listed her as deceased. I guess they stamp it that way so no one can try and use it for ID theft purposes. That makes sense, but it doesn't make it any easier to see the words in bold print. So many things like that are little (or big) jabs right in the heart. Sorry you had to deal with that, so close to mother's day too.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Mon May 09, 2011 09:09 pm

Oh Flori I am sorry as well. I have looked at Benjmain's birth and death certificates as well and just cried. I wish they didn't stamp that, it is just so painful to look at. I am thinking of you and sending lots of love to you. xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon May 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Flori, I am so sorry you are going through this. I had to go through it 3 months ago and it was just so upsetting. I'm thinking about you!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby flori » Tue May 10, 2011 00:27 am

Thank you ladies, you all are very kind. It's been a rough few days, as I'm sure it has been for most blms. I appreciate the support immensely. I finally started a memory book for Gracie and her certificates will go in it.

I'm sure I'm driving husband crazy with the crying outbursts and neediness lately. Can't get enough hugs. :cry:
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Return to Grief and Loss