Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anyone taking L-arginine?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Anyone taking L-arginine?

Postby redheadsrule » Wed May 25, 2011 08:19 am

by redheadsrule (5 Posts), Wed May 25, 2011 08:19 am

My sister forwarded this new study to me on the use of L-arginine and antioxidant vitamins during pregnancy for a study of pregnant women who were high risk of pre-eclampsia based on prior history or family member who had it. It appears to have great results. I gave it to my ob who was positive about it and felt it was a good study. He seemed to no think it would have any negative effects if I took it. He was not sure of the dosage though. In the study they gave it to the participants in a bar farm and included 3.3g. From the internet people seem to use the supplement in small dosages 1-2g up to 30 g. I am not sure the dosage and because it is a supplement there appears to not be any usual dosage yet.

Any ideas??? Anyone talk to their Dr's and know? I wanted to pose this tot he experts thread but I am not sure how to do that. Any help would be great.

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d2901.full
redheadsrule

Re: Anyone taking L-arginine?

Postby jamie w » Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm

by jamie w (978 Posts), Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com
jamie w

Re: Anyone taking L-arginine?

Postby caryn » Thu May 26, 2011 08:52 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Thu May 26, 2011 08:52 pm

Here's another recent article: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 28&t=42748

Are you seeing a MFM for oversight? I'd want to ask a doc who was actively involved in research; this field changes very, very rapidly.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced