Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Must you have high bp to have HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Must you have high bp to have HELLP?

Postby jean » Tue May 24, 2011 06:33 pm

by jean (675 Posts), Tue May 24, 2011 06:33 pm

I had high bp when my HELLP arrived. Is that always true of HELLP? Can you have it without high bp?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: Must you have high bp to have HELLP?

Postby Nadenet1229 » Tue May 24, 2011 06:38 pm

by Nadenet1229 (41 Posts), Tue May 24, 2011 06:38 pm

You can have HELLP without high bp. Some women develope HELLP without PE.
Mother to Joseph Lovelace Touchet Jr born on 5/11/11 at 22 weeks due to Preeclampsia and HELLP. Born straight into God's arms. Love you my angel.
Nadenet1229

Postby caryn » Tue May 24, 2011 07:13 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Tue May 24, 2011 07:13 pm

HELLP stands for Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, Low Platelets. Technically that's all you need - and you can even have partial HELLP, with HEL but not LP, or HLP, or ELLP...

But no, you don't need elevated bp.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Wed May 25, 2011 04:00 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Wed May 25, 2011 04:00 pm

i didnt have high bp or officially pre-e by diagnostic criteria but my docs both consider hellp=severe pre-e.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby jenprzygoda » Thu May 26, 2011 05:21 pm

by jenprzygoda (103 Posts), Thu May 26, 2011 05:21 pm

I never had high BP with my HELLP until well after the HELLP was underway and my son was already born. I "skipped" the PE beforehand and just went straight to HELLP. It doesn't seem to be that common, but there are some of us on here who had no protein in the urine or high BP before the HELLP. I did, however, have a LOT of swelling. This is yet another scary thing about HELLP - you hear about it as a severe complication of PE, yet you can get it without having PE first!
jenprzygoda

Postby caryn » Thu May 26, 2011 08:32 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Thu May 26, 2011 08:32 pm

Yeah, the idea at this point is that all of these conditions stem from implantation failure followed by release of relevant substances into the bloodstream and a predisposition towards placental failure - and the terminology hasn't caught up to that yet. They adopted "gestational hypertension" as an umbrella term in the year 2000 or so, which drives most people crazy because that's naming the whole set of conditions after a downstream symptom that not everyone gets!
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby fyremom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 pm

by fyremom (1 Posts), Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 pm

You do not have to have high bp nor protein in your urine. I know as my daughter, Bri, died of HELLPS on Sept 13, 2009. I believe that she was not diagnosed because her dr said her complaints were typical of first time moms!!! Don't let your doctor tell you this. CHANGE DOCTORS. I know of a woman who changed dr's at 9 months because hers would not listen to her!!!!
We do have a beautiful grandson. (Dr failed to notice that part of his bladder was outside his body! He will be fine after a few more surgeries). She ended up, after a week, being flown to *** Clinic, had a liver transplant and died two days later as her brain pressure could not be controlled. We donated her kidneys and she saved two lives.
So, she did not have high bp and no protein in her urine. Good luck.
fyremom

Postby blythe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 09:32 am

by blythe (3060 Posts), Sat Jul 02, 2011 09:32 am

Welcome, fyremom. I'm so sorry to hear of your daughter's death. Thank you for sharing her tragic experience in the hopes that it could help others.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 01:40 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Mon Jul 04, 2011 01:40 pm

Fyremom, I remember reading about Bri's death. I'm so sorry you had to find us under those circumstances, but welcome, and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge here.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby lindsayduca » Fri Sep 23, 2011 03:10 pm

by lindsayduca (1 Posts), Fri Sep 23, 2011 03:10 pm

Fyremon: I am also so sorry to hear about your daughter! I too presented a similar situation. I think that sometimes the symptoms of HELLP can be brushed off as not a big deal or, "well that is normal for any pregnancy." I must admit I even did this myself as a critical care nurse. I had severe URQ pain and a general feeling of malaise the week before my son was born. The pain in my URQ worsened it began to be painful to breath. I finally informed my doctor only 2 days before my son was born and she insisted on working me up for a pulmonary embolism. I convinced her that my case was not such but I would come in anyway. At the hospital everything appeared normal although no labs were taken. I went home and dealt with my discomfort. Not long after I came back in labor. I was hoping for a natural birth but at 8 cm with my son sunny side up I requested an epidural. At that time the resident refused to do the epidural as my plateletts were too low (55,000). I thought I was loosing my mind as labs continued to come back abnormal. EXCEPT I was not spilling protien in my urine nor did I have high BP! My labs continued to drop for 12 hours after my delievery. Ultimately my son and I were ok after an extended stay in the hospital. BUT my point in this response is that NO your BP does not need to be elevated nor do you have to be spilling protein into your urine AND trust your own instincts.
lindsayduca

Next

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders