Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions/concerns!

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Questions/concerns!

Postby resecor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 07:52 pm

Hi there. I'm new to this site. I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have been struggling with hyperemesis since about week 8. It lessened at about 20 weeks.
I now have a whole new set of symptoms popping up. I haven't kept food down in over a week, even though I take my Zofran 3x's daily. My feet and hands have been swelling 2x's the size and are tingly/numb--even if I'm just sitting down. Then I started getting this intense pain in my lower right abdomen two nights ago, it was so bad I had to use my husband to hold me up and I started bawling. Then I have a constant headache and I see spots, and if I stand up for more than a minute I get extremely dizzy; my eyes feel bruised when I move them. My cousin who works in L&D said I should have gone in on Monday to get checked out. I'm also having severe chest pain, right by my heart. I keep popping my neck because my right shoulder/neck is really sore and tight. It's making my right arm go numb. (I do have carpal tunnel, but even wearing my wrist brace my arm is numbing and tingling and swelling.)
I also am anemic--but I take an iron supplement every night. My father suffers blood clots, too.

Well, I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning. There was protein in my urine, my white blood cells were measuring high, and I was dehydrated. I told my OB all about my symptoms and she just said it's all normal. I feel like none of this is normal. She said because my BP was perfect, that I'm just overreacting and googling too much. I feel like she was blowing me off. She also said I probably got some form of food poisoning...which I think is bullcrap.

Here is a picture of my ankles from two Friday's ago--right when all of this started up:

I just don't know what to do. Does this sound like it could possibly be HELLP?
resecor

Re: Questions/concerns!

Postby frogibe » Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:33 pm

With the symptoms and the picture of your feet/ankles I would say you need to get a second opinion! I would go into the emergency room and get checked out if your doctor is ignoring you! They need to do a 24 hour urine collection and blood work ( check your liver function) to figure out what is going on! Please keep us updated! I am praying for you and your sweet baby.
Jennifer(27) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We are expecting #3 in April 2013
frogibe

Postby aajatwins » Thu Jun 02, 2011 08:43 pm

I didn't suffer from HELLP, only eclampsia, but let me just second that opinion. You need to be in L&D getting full attention from someone.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Thu Jun 02, 2011 09:28 pm

I am just "thirding" the suggestion to go in. Your symptoms sound like mine, and I ended up with HELLP by the time I finally went in. I developed "class 1" HELLP without having my blood pressure go over 130/80, and I didn't dip protein until I was admitted.
You shouldn't be in that much pain, especially when combined with all of your other symptoms. I would go to L&D and refuse to leave until they run the PE/PIH blood work to check for HELLP. Take care of yourself, and take your cousin or someone else to argue on your behalf if you can.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby resecor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm on my way to the hospital right now. After my husband and I read some posts on here and your replies, I think we would rather be those idiots going in to find out nothing is wrong than something actually being wrong but it being way too late.

:/ I'm really scared something will come back positive.
resecor

Postby resecor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 00:38 am

On my back my BP was 131/81; then right after on my left side it was 113/62.

I feel like my entire body is going numb right now.
resecor

Postby resecor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 09:30 am

Well, all the blood work came back normal. My OB was the one on call. She came in with the paperwork from it, said she ran the tests just to humor me, wrote an "A+" on the sheet and told me to hang it on my fridge. I was still seeing spots and had a headache so she gave me a vicodin and sent me home. Told me I had gotten into a pattern of throwing up and that if I change my eating habits I'll stop.
resecor

Postby angieb » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 am

Wow, your ob sounds like a jerk.

Not to scare you, but when I was admitted to the hospital, my first round of bloodwork was almost normal (my liver enzymes were just a little bit elevated but not concerning), my blood pressure was always normal, they re-did my bloodwork 6 hours later and it was obviously HELLP (my liver enzymes had doubled and platelets had dropped by 100,000 in the 6 hours between the 2 draws.) So...don't hesitate to go back in if you feel even the slightest bit worse, and i'd be looking for a new ob stat.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby resecor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 01:38 pm

I'm going to switch doctors. I just don't feel comfortable. If she treats me like that when I have a concern serious enough to bring me into the hospital, how is she going to treat me when I'm in labor?

I hope everything stays normal, but all of this pain and headaches and vomiting just doesn't seem right. I don't want to have to be miserable for the next nine weeks because my doctor isn't willing to listen. :|
resecor

Postby aajatwins » Fri Jun 03, 2011 02:55 pm

I'm glad to hear that you went in and that you are switching doctors. I can't believe some doctors will treat grown women like children sometimes. You are clearly and rightfully concerned about your health and the life of your child and that should NEVER be mocked. Find a doctor who will listen to you and take you seriously.
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders