How much weight did you gain

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

How much weight did you gain

Postby cmccaffrey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 pm

How much weight did you gain when you got sick. Two weeks before I started having high blood pressure I had only gained 11lbs during my pregnancy and my doctor was talking to me about how I needed to be gaining more weight. By the time I delivered I had gained almost 40lbs. I gained 10lbs in like 5 days according to the hospital medical records. As soon as I delivered, I lost 20lbs automatically and then another 10 after a week or so. I wish I could blame it on eating for two, but I know it was fluid retention because that 5 day span I gained 10lbs I was an IV and not allowed to eat.

Just curious if you guys experienced that much of a weight gain?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: How much weight did you gain

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Mon Apr 25, 2011 07:53 pm

Oh yeah I sure did!!! I gained weight and my mom was asking if I was gaining too much,I remember I got upset at this,I had never been pregnant so thought this was just how my body reacted during pregnancy.WRONG! I did put on weight alot and fast just like you and after delivery bam! It started coming off so quick,wow scary huh??
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby rebeccac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 09:28 pm

The most I gained in a week was 10 lbs. I gained 60 lbs total and delivered at 35 weeks.
Rebecca, DS born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks in '06 due to pre-e and Class 1 HELLP
rebeccac

Postby sam10 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm

I don't remember exactly when I gained all my PE weight, but definitely somewhere around 22 weeks (before I knew anything bad was brewing), I started noticing that my weight seemed out of proportion to what I ate. At the time of delivery (25.6 weeks) I had gained a total of 40 pounds (yikes). I lost 30 pounds within a week after I had given birth.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby flori » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I guess I'm the odd man out. I only had one very minor bout of swelling around 20+3 while on vacation (figured it was from the flight). I had Gracie at 25 weeks exactly and actually ended up around 11 pounds less than I was when I found out I was pregnant. My husband made sure I ate really well while I was pregnant- no fried foods, salty stuff, soda, sweets, etc.

I have since gained that 11 pounds back- comfort eating. :oops:
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 09:21 am

Between admission and my first postpartum weight check five days later I gained 30 pounds. :D It's so *fun* when your kidneys quit!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby audrey s. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 01:02 am

In the end, I gained almost 70 lbs :shock: . The first clue was after a cross-country trip to New Orleans. Salty food, long flight, long hours of work. But when I saw the midwife the next week, her comment was, "I only let my mothers gain 20 lbs through the whole pregnancy". I had gained something like ten pounds in a couple of weeks, that at 24 weeks along. No one ever told me what my protein levels were but with the post-partum HELLP, and the high-output heart failure, I peed 6 liters the first 24 hours...and yet, when I got on the scale (could finally stand up unassisted, one week later), I had only lost 5 lbs. The kidlet had weighed more than that!

I did lose it again, but that kind of rapid weight gain is definitely something to keep an eye out for.
Mom to Rebecca, now 16 and honor student. 37-week, two months in NICU for her thanks to NEC and meningitis. One month in hospital for me, HELLP syndrome and severe hyper-reflexia. All healthy now, more or less!
audrey s.

Postby tree » Fri Apr 29, 2011 08:59 pm

I gained 60 lbs by my 35 week appointment, and I would gain in spurts. I would put on 5 pounds in a week, then not gain for a month. I always thought it was weird that I would gain more weight during the weeks or months I wasn't eating much because I didn't feel well. That should have been a clue... I have no idea what I weighed when I finally delivered, and I don't think I want to. The first 45 lbs came off pretty quickly, but the last 15 will not go away. I've tried running 15 miles/week, biking, skiing, hiking, yoga, pilates, and chasing a toddler (usually all in combination). The @#($&@(# stomach flu didn't even help to get rid of it. It is slightly frustrating.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby riehlism » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 pm

20 pounds! Up until I got sick, I had only gained 5 or 6 pounds the entire pregnancy. I started my pregnancy fluffy. I was pre-fluffed prior to getting knocked up. But I kept my weight in check. Then when I got sick there was no controlling it. :(
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby alexis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 09:16 pm

No one weighed me during my first pregnancy. Go figure THAT one.

I got weighed twice. 12 weeks pg and 6 weeks pp. Second weight was 11 kg down on the first. I totally swelled up right at the end and eventually peed it right out, but I couldn't guess how much. You can see my puffy face in pictures, though, and they were pumping tons of fluids into me and I wasn't peeing anything out for a while. I didn't know you could swell after birth, and I left my rings on. Nearly had to have them cut off.

I didn't gain anything till 13 weeks this time, then I gained 10 from 13-20. That's not PE, that's eating yourself out of house and home. 24 week appointment is next week, and I'm not looking forward to the scale. At least my OB Is not one of the "obese women should gain nothing" promoters.
Chronic hypertension
Aliza - 01/05/2007 - Severe preeclampsia, emergency CS 37 weeks
Isaac - 09/26/2011 - controlled on 150mg Toprol, NO PE, 39 weeks!
alexis
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Misc