We've made our decision...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Registered User
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: We've made our decision...

Postby flori » Sat Jun 25, 2011 07:36 pm

I agree with everyone, it is very brave of you to come to such a decision and thank you for sharing. My husband and I are also going to try again, largely due to losing Gracie. Had she survived, I think I would be happy with :( one as well.

We have agreed that if the worse happens again we will be done and look into surrogacy and/or adoption. Sometimes I feel robbed out of the experience of having a big family with lots of children. I was at Target recently and the family in line behind my husband and me had 5 young kids. I was so jealous. How can it be so easy for some but so difficult for others? :(
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.

Registered User
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 02:03 am

Re: We've made our decision...

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Sat Jun 25, 2011 06:29 pm

Thank you for sharing. I know this was not easy to decide. I am not in your exact situation but I know in my heart I would do the same if I were. We are going to try again after having pre-e only because we lost our only son after 4 months in the NICU. I ask for one healthy child in this lifetime...one and done. I am also 39 years old now so time is not on my side. After this if we are blessed enough to have a take home baby and want more we will look into foster/adoption.
Again,thank you for sharing I truly feel your decision was selfless and true. Sending love to you and your beautiful family xo
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013

Registered User
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: We've made our decision...

Postby lornarose » Sat Jun 25, 2011 02:01 pm

Dear Libby
Thankyou for posting your decision. I find your comments very interesting and helpful. I have still not decided yet whether I am going to go through the worry of PE again. I, like you, have a healthy daughter and I am very grateful for her. I also worry how I would cope with a complicated pregnancy especially when I have my little girl to factor into the equation now. My sister, who did not get PE has decided to have just one baby due to an emergency c section and a wound that subsequently became infected. She is terrified of another c section. I do think that a lot of women are 'done with one' due to traumatic birth experiences, not just PE women.Today, I am 80/20 in favour of being 'done at one' but this changes all the time. I have given myself until January of next year to finalise my decision. The door will close then and will not re-open. I commend you on your honesty and also for posting your most private inner thoughts. I wish you and DH many years of happiness with your precious little girl.
Momma to Emma born 34wplus 3 ,October, 2010,due to severe preeclampsia and IUGR.In NICU due to low birth weight and suspected sepsis, home after nearly 4 weeks.

Registered User
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: We've made our decision...

Postby uncskristy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 04:23 am

I know that was a difficult decision to make. And Kudos to you for taking everything into consideration
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005

Registered User
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 pm

We've made our decision...

Postby libby123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 08:01 pm

This decision has been agonizing, but after weighing the pros and cons, we have come to a decision:
We are "one and done". We aren't going to conceive again, I will not be pregnant again.

Here is why:
1.)We luckily came through our first pregnancy okay with the pre-e, and we HAVE a healthy daughter. We have our baby.
2.) Knowing the risks of getting pre-e again, I don't want to risk the chance of leaving my daughter without a mommy or by negatively affecting her by being on bedrest for months on end like I was before. My husband works 16 hours a day and relies on me to care for her, if I couldn't, our family unit would suffer greatly.
3.) I don't want to risk my health.

However we also had many cons:
1.) Our daughter will grow up without siblings and will not have siblings to support her when she is older.
2.) My husband will never have a son.
3.) We will always feel like our family is "unfinished" in a way, we had always dreamed of having 2.

But the pros won out, and we aren't going to conceive again. I will still hang out here on the boards and support those of you who are going to try again! Thank you for your support :)
Mommy to Sailor Ann, born on February 17th 2011 at 36 weeks by c-section due to PIH that slowly turned into preeclampsia.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests