Need to snap out of it....

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: Need to snap out of it....

Postby brismom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 03:46 pm

I should stick to beta fish, I guess, as well.
Last edited by brismom on Mon May 14, 2012 09:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
brismom

Postby jgrumet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 00:22 am

Oh, we should really be related. I woke up today with a pounding heart and a panic attack. I did a cardio at-home work out and that helped a lot. I think what feeds my panic attack is the fact that I think it is happening because there is something wrong with my heart. My sister gets them, too. She won't even drive she has become so paranoid. I refuse to get that bad.
Yeah, I always try to hide my crazy, but I feel like people must know.

I feel like I was 95% sane before I had my son. Now it is more like 5%......
wife and mommy
Aram: 6/22/2008 33 weeks 6 days- due to PIH and HELLP
Samuel: 12/17/2006- Ethiopian Adoption (home November/2010)

blog
http://www.iamnotthebabysitter.com
jgrumet

Postby brismom » Sun Jun 19, 2011 04:20 pm

I can relate.
Last edited by brismom on Mon May 14, 2012 09:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
brismom

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 01:59 pm

You know, your underlying disorder is probably fibromyalgia. :)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby brismom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 05:53 pm

Do you think the fibro was always dormant and HELLP brought it out or do you think the HELLP caused the fibro?
brismom

Postby caryn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

That is *so* the question researchers are asking - chicken, or egg?

Either this was a genetic tendency of yours unmasked by pregnancy, and you would have developed it in any case, or the trophoblastic cells from the pregnancy have triggered autoimmune disease. I am not entirely certain that those are not *the same* explanation, in a way. The genetic predisposition to be annoyed by your partner's trophoblasts (if they are the right sort of trophoblast to annoy you) would be underlying, but would also only be triggered by pregnancy by the right partner. Unless they want to say that a baseline rise in inflammation as you aged would *also* annoy your immune system - which is a different trigger, but very similar.

Anyway, they don't know.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby brismom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 01:25 pm

So true.. which did come first the chicken or the egg? How will we ever know?
brismom

Postby caryn » Tue Jun 21, 2011 04:05 pm

We'd need a population of women with the same underlying genetic risk factors who didn't get pregnant, and to measure their rates of autoimmune and hypertension.

I wonder about the lower rates of hypertension in nuns. I don't think it has a thing to do with the fact that they're living a "stress-free lifestyle", because the controls who didn't have children also have lower rates of hypertension.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby brismom » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am

Hmmm... good question with the nuns. One has to wonder...
brismom

Postby jgrumet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 am

I saw an article about the nuns, but I guess the person that was writing it was using it as an example of meditating. They were saying the nuns they studied had practiced a certain type of meditation daily.
I bet not having children is probably part of the reason, but I wouldn't rule out meditation as part of the reason. Just from my experience with anxiety I realize how powerful "mind over matter" is. I've given myself real symptoms of diseases I don't have.

Plus, the clergy are supposed to be the happiest people when grouped by careers. This is coming from the Oprah Show, but I find that a reliable source! ;-)
wife and mommy
Aram: 6/22/2008 33 weeks 6 days- due to PIH and HELLP
Samuel: 12/17/2006- Ethiopian Adoption (home November/2010)

blog
http://www.iamnotthebabysitter.com
jgrumet

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders