Post Reply FAQ Members Login

The baby products are starting to arrive

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

The baby products are starting to arrive

Postby flori » Mon Jun 27, 2011 09:39 pm

by flori (225 Posts), Mon Jun 27, 2011 09:39 pm

:( It started slowly a few weeks ago with coupons and has been steadily trickling in. I have a can of formula, wipe samples, several $5 and $10 off coupons for more formula and quite a few baby portrait coupons. They say "Congratulations!" or "Capture these precious moments" or other things that aren't meant to be sad but are.

My husband admitted to me that when he's able to intercept the mail before I get it he tosses out anything baby-related. I just happened to walk into the entryway the day the formula came and he hid it behind his back. When he showed it to me I carried it against my chest like a baby and snuggled against my Boppy while I read the information packet. I cried.

I thought about keeping the stuff for rainbow baby (fingers crossed) but the perishables will likely expire before he/she arrives. Then I thought about putting together a gift basket with all of the goodies, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

This is rough. What did my fellow angel mommies do when this happened?
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Re: The baby products are starting to arrive

Postby cmccaffrey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

by cmccaffrey (458 Posts), Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

The week after I got out of the hospital, flowers and gift baskets full of baby stuff kept showing up at our doors and my husband would try to hide them from me as well. But I did exactly what you are talking about doing. Packaged things up and gave them to the mommies I knew who were having or who had just had babies. It was really hard for me though. I screamed and cried the whole time I did it. I am sure my husband thought I was completely INSANE, but it was really the only thing I could do. I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I remember how painful it was like it was yesterday.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby uncskristy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:51 am

by uncskristy (171 Posts), Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:51 am

It took me awhile to get to the point where I don't cry when I see those things in the mailbox.
One thought is you can also could also collect the samples and take them to a food bank. Baby Formula is something that they always are in low supply of.
Kristy
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005
uncskristy

Postby kerisue » Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:59 am

by kerisue (623 Posts), Tue Jun 28, 2011 07:59 am

This happened to me too, still happens sometimes. I can't get rid of the emails from Babies R Us (for some reason they won't let me unsubscribe.) It's a stab of pain each time I get stuff in the mail, but fortunately just a little one. Except for the formula I've thrown all the samples away- to make a gift basket for some other luckier woman would have been too much for me.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby flori » Tue Jun 28, 2011 01:07 pm

by flori (225 Posts), Tue Jun 28, 2011 01:07 pm

Kerisue, I am getting pamphlets from Babies R Us almost weekly! I feel so sad when they come because I remember the first time we went there after we found out I was pregnant. We only bought a little unisex bib but we spent an hour and a half looking at the different car seats, bedding sets, cribs, strollers, outfits, etc. The cashier talked us into signing up for their rewards card, which I still have tucked away in my wallet. My husband found his the other day and teared up.. he ended up shredding it. :(

I don't even know how all of this stuff is coming, I don't remember signing up for anything.

My heart hurts.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby lola1971 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 am

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 am

So sorry you are going through this. We lost our FB DD almost 3 years ago and it is still very painful. I remember what you are going through as if yesterday. Hang in there...

There isn't much I can say that will make you feel less pain. Please find comfort in that you are not alone and we understand.
Mom to a sleeping angel born and said goodbye in July 2008 at 23 weeks due to severe PE and Class 1 HELLP. Mom to a tiny but mighty girl born in July 2009 at 28 weeks & 5 days due to severe PE and Class 2 HELLP. She is happy and healthy!
lola1971

Postby frogibe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:21 pm

by frogibe (327 Posts), Thu Jun 30, 2011 07:21 pm

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I also went through dreading opening the mail to find coupons and formula. The baby furniture arrived about 2 weeks after Kelsie died which was almost unbearable! This was hard and it did slow down after about 2-3 months. Then came our year mark and I kept getting Happy 1st Birthday coupons and cards which to say the least was very difficult...Stay strong. I think your doing the right thing by donating those items that are perishable. I did the same with diapers and wipes and formula. I still haven't gotten rid of her bedding or preemie clothes. I just cannot find the power to do it.
Jennifer(27) Chronic Hypertensive
mommy to Kelsie born 1-10-10 from severe pre-e and HELLP at 28wks.
grew her wings on 2-14-10 due to NEC.
and to Josephine born 8-4-11 at 35wks. due to low amniotic fluid, but PE and HELLP FREE!!!! I kicked PRE-E in the behind!!!!!
Surprise! We are expecting #3 in April 2013
frogibe

Return to Grief and Loss