Should I let my 3 mth (2 mth adj) sleep through the night?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Should I let my 3 mth (2 mth adj) sleep through the night?

Postby jgia » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:14 am

My daughter (born at 35 wks due to severe PE at 4 lbs 9oz) has been sleeping through the night for the past three nights (10pm until 5am). She is 3 months, two months adjusted weighing just over 10 lbs. Up until the last three days, she woke every two hours for feedings. During the day she eats 3 to 4 oz every three to four hours (mostly a two oz bottle every hour and a half). I called my peds office, the nurse did not seem concerned, but my nerves still won't let me relax. I know that being healthy does not mean that she has to be above the 50th percentile by any means...but should I wake her up for middle of the night feedings?
Jill (me) 28 yrs, severe PE with "sticky" BPs for one month after delivery.
Scott (hubby) 29 yrs, stubborn but amazingly supportive husband.
Tessa (lovely & very much loved daughter) born on 4/8/2011, 4 lbs 8oz at 7:58pm (the number eight was our anesthesiologist's lucky number, no lie!), severe PE at 35 wks, needed a little warmth in the NICU for ten days.
jgia

Re: Should I let my 3 mth (2 mth adj) sleep through the nig

Postby trish » Mon Jul 04, 2011 07:13 pm

If your Peds nurse thinks it's ok I'd go with that!! If she's drinking formula it stays with them a little longer than BF babies. But, my BF 37 weeker was about 11-12 lbs at 5 months when she started sleeping through the night 11-12 hours straight through. She was my one and only to do that - I should have enjoyed it more!!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby jamie w » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:04 pm

My 35 weaker started sleeping through the night at about 6-8 weeks. He was not yet 10 lbs at that time. He still sleeps all night and has not had any problems. I say enjoy the sleep!:)
Jamie
DD Carly 7-1-04 PE at 37 weeks (6 lbs 9 oz)
DD Anna 12-3-07 PE at 24 weeks and delivered at 38 weeks after 13 weeks bedrest, gestational diabetes, and oligo. This sweet baby has cerebral palsy and epilepsy thanks to my dear friend PE (5 lbs 15 oz)
DS Gabe 2-24-11 at 35 weeks for chronic HTN with superimposed PIH (5 lb 13 oz) 18 NICU days
http://www.ourlifeinholland.blogspot.com
jamie w

Postby tracym » Tue Jul 05, 2011 07:40 am

If she's gaining consistently then let her sleep :) If she's gone from waking 2 hourly to a 7 hour gap, I'd guess she wasn't waking out of hunger, but habit. If you know she normally lets you know when she's hungry I wouldn't stress...but keep an eye on her weight gain just in case. At this age I'd try 4oz at a feeding and see how she goes. Feeding every hour and a half during the day is very frequent...ideally (haha that's funny) you'd be expecting 2 decent (2-3 hour) naps during the day. Sleep encourages growth :)

Good luck!
Tracy

Jack - 37 weeks Feb '01 (mild PE dx 33 weeks)
Kate - 33 weeks Feb '05 (severe PE dx 31 weeks)
tracym

Return to Parents of Preemies