4 Wks Postpartum Weight Loss = 0!

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

4 Wks Postpartum Weight Loss = 0!

Postby River13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 07:46 pm

Hi All,

I had my baby via emergency C-Section at 27 weeks due to having a severe case of PE w/ HELLP. Baby is doing fine and gaining weight steadily (he's finally 2 lbs) and for that I am extremely grateful! As for me, I'm having a hard time understanding why I have not lost even 1 lb since delivery. I obviously no longer have a baby, placenta, amniotic fluid etc so one would think I'd at least lose a few pounds! I'm not allowed to exercise yet but I've been watching what I eat, drinking plent of water, etc and still nothing. My neck and face a very swollen but my blood pressure is great at 100/60. I just can't figuire it out...especially since I lost 25 lbs almost immediately with my first child (no PE however). Combined with Postpartum blues, etc this making me feel very insecure and worried that something might be wrong with me. Has anyone experienced this?

Many thanks in advance!
River13

Re: 4 Wks Postpartum Weight Loss = 0!

Postby sam10 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 08:38 pm

How much weight have you gained until you delivered? I wonder if you only gained a little, it might not come down quickly. Have you talked to your doctors about this?
Like you described with your first, I lost somewhere around 30 pounds within the first week after birth, but I had also gained over 40 until delivery.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby River13 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 pm

I gained about 45 lbs....so I'm anxious to lose at least some of it soon! The doctors just say it's taking longer due to stress and/or sometimes with severe PE it takes about 6 weeks to start to lose(?). They've checked my thyroid and lymph nodes are all OK.
River13

Postby cmccaffrey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 02:47 am

You lost 25lbs immediately, but you are still concerned? There isn't much you can do really until your doctor gives you the okay to exercise. Usually that isn't until 6 weeks pp or more if there were complications. It took me a while to loose the baby weight. I gained 45 as well, and 30 came off immediately. I spent 6 months trying to loose the rest. I alternated running and yoga every day for a long time (I'm still doing brisk walking and yoga fairly often per doctors recommendation for this pregnancy). Funny thing is... I ended up looking like I lost all the baby weight. I actually ended up sizing smaller than before, but I probably weigh slightly the same as before pregnancy. Weight distributes differently now... I don't know how to describe it. You might not be able to exercise, but you can walk basically as much as you like. In fact, I probably would have bounced back faster if I had started walking earlier, but I was grieving and not leaving the house at that time. Anyways, try not to worry too much about the weight(I'm sure it will fly off soon enough) and try to enjoy time with your little guy! <3
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby River13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm

No, I didn't lose ANY weight yet....not one pound! (The 25 lbs I mentioned was with my first child, this is my second:) That's why I'm concerned at this point.
River13

Postby cmccaffrey » Sun Jul 31, 2011 02:23 am

OOOOOH I see what you mean now. hmmmmm... I have no idea then. I thought you were saying that you had already lost 25lbs. Sorry... I'm not very helpful.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby tree » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Not sure how helpful this will be either... Have you checked in with your doctor at all? Any other strange symptoms? I held on to far too much weight after I was discharged, but I also had some abnormal bleeding and a few other symptoms. I had retained some placenta after my c-section, and I felt MUCH better once my doctor removed it. I also started to lose a little weight after that. So, your lack of weight loss could be annoyingly normal, or it could be a hint that something is up. If you really don't feel right, call your doctor and ask about it. I hope you get an answer soon.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Return to Misc