Post Reply FAQ Members Login

HELLP causing ITP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

HELLP causing ITP

Postby 78kate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 05:17 pm

I'm about 13 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby. My labs came back that I have low platelets 114 and 116...they tested them twice to make sure. I'll be going to a hematologist to make sure there is nothing more-but my mom has ITP so we're guessing that I have it as well.

My question-I never had this problem until I had my 1st baby in which that pregnancy ended in HELLP. So can HELLP cause ITP long term?
78kate

Re: HELLP causing ITP

Postby ozierja » Thu Aug 04, 2011 09:30 am

Hello,
I don't think it can cause ITP but I know if you have ITP you are likely to have HELLP or PE in one form or another during pregnancy. PE and HELLP can unmask all kinds of things that you might be predisposed to having later in life, cardiovascular problems, hypertension, etc. Perhaps it is the same with ITP?
I hope the hematologist will have the answer for you.
Julie
Class I HELLP in 2004, Kelly Ann born 10/19/2004, 2lbs, 1oz, at 27 weeks.
ozierja

Postby mymiracles2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 08:58 pm

Is ITP the same as TTP? I had TTP with my last pregnancy.
mymiracles2

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 00:39 am

Very close. TTP is "thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura" and ITP is "ideopathic thrombocytopenic purpura". "Ideopathic" means they have no idea why you've got it. It's just something that's true about you.

Thrombocytopenia can also be pregnancy-induced, by the placenta. So it might reverse after pregnancy - I suspect the docs will be able to tell you more about the odds of that happening than I can!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders