Post Reply FAQ Members Login

2nd Pregnancy

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

2nd Pregnancy

Postby catheym » Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:51 pm

by catheym (1 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 01:51 pm

My first post here. My wife was preeclamptic during the first pregnancy, our daughter came into the world 5 weeks early weighing in around 3 lbs and is doing well. (She is short for her age, so we have some concerns for that, dr wants to see her again soon.)

We found out that we are expecting again, we are in the early stages, my wife goes to the dr today for initial bloodwork, etc. I am already in my information seeking stage.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Does anyone have any suggestions on diets they have used to possibly help ease this? (Avoid salts, etc?)
2. Any type of exercise programs to do? Should exercise be avoided?
3. Should I buy a BP cuff?
4. Am I over worrying, and trying to do to much about trying to do all I can to prevent.

Thanks for all the help.
catheym

Re : 2nd Pregnancy

Postby annes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:11 pm

by annes (2527 Posts), Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:11 pm

Welcome and Congratulations! You have come to a good place to get a lot of information. I am sure one of the more sciency people will come along and give you some good stuff, but here is my little stab. While it is important to have a healthy diet, there is no diet that has been found to prevent or slow preeclampsia. I think the excercise question really depends on your wife's level of activity prior to being pregnant, and what the doctor says. You may want to invest in a BP cuff, the doctor may even write you a prescription for one, it helps to maintain a log of BP's to be able to give to your doctor at appointments. I think the most important thing you and your wife can do is be aware of the signs and symptoms, which are listed on our home page and be proactive with the medical care. This disease is really scary, I know that my husband was terrified that he would lose me. Keep us updated as you progress.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby jamilyn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:33 am

by jamilyn (430 Posts), Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:33 am

Hello and I hope the pregnancy is going well.
A normal healthy pregnancy diet is really just best. Like Ann said no diet is found to prevent Preeclampsia. Just eating healthy is by far the best.
Doing the same things she did before pregnancy unless told otherwise from her OB.
I baught a BP machine and think its a great investment. I check my BP about twice a day.
Really the best thing is to make sure you both watch for the symptoms that come with the PE. If your wife is not seeing a Peri (high risk OB) then she may also want to check into going to see one as well as her OB. They can tell you a lot more as well if your OB cant. You may even want to take a list of questions with you when you go to the OB. I had a full page of questions for my Peri for this pregnancy.
With my 2nd pregnancy I saw my OB once a month and my Peri once a month so I switched off and saw at least one of them every 2 weeks until the end when I had to go a lot more. It made me a lot more at ease.
Best of luck and Congrats
jamilyn

Postby jackie_oregon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:33 pm

by jackie_oregon (1 Posts), Thu Feb 25, 2010 02:33 pm

Hi, my name is Mike and I am in a similar situation. First time on this site. My wife was in good shape going into the pregnancy with a good diet and a lot of excersize so I think now rest is the best thing for her going forward. She is 10 wks and she has Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome and she is Antithrombine III Deficient. Keeping our fingers crossed that this one goes ok.
jackie_oregon

Postby stacey0411 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 09:19 pm

by stacey0411 (114 Posts), Thu Feb 25, 2010 09:19 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with all pp's. I am a nurse so I had a bp cuff and was able to check my b/p whenever I felt nervous/unsure. If you can get your hands on a machine I would. Once I saw those good numbers I was able to enjoy the rest of my evening and not worry about it. Good-luck!
stacey0411

Postby lakensmommy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:12 pm

by lakensmommy (169 Posts), Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:12 pm

You just really have to talk to a good MFM about things you should and should not do/take. But defiantly get a bp cuff and keep a log. There is a good one designed for women called ReliOn Womens you can get it at wal mart for about $48. I took mine with me to a doc appointment to check accuracy and it was spot on. Ask about getting checked for underlaying disorders and maybe about taking baby aspirin. Congrats.
lakensmommy

Return to Dads