Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

Postby smileegirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 08:22 pm

I had hypertension prior to my first pregnancy, however, during the pregnancy my blood pressures remained stable until the 3rd trimester (without any meds). During the 3rd trimester, it was rising, and eventually I was diagnosed with severe superimposed preeclampsia and had a c-section in the 36th week. I'm considering getting pregnant a second time and a Dr. recently expressed concern because I had superimposed preeclampsia in my previous pregnancy and I am currently 38 years old. Do you know if there is an increased risk of developing superimposed preeclampsia at an earlier point in a 2nd pregnancy? My concern is that I could develop it much earlier (in the 2nd trimester or earlier in the 3rd trimester), but I'm not sure if thats a common risk.

I have an appointment with a MFM Doctor, but wanted to see if any of you had insights or experiences with this. I'm really so nervous to try again!

Thanks!
smileegirl

Re: Superimposed Preeclampsia a second time?

Postby rosalinda » Fri Aug 12, 2011 04:59 pm

The odds for subsequent preeclampsia pregnancy are usually better, meaning that if you do develop it it is usually milder and later in the pregnancy. THAT being said, there is always a chance of recurrence at the same time and/or earlier. You never really know. Plus, having chronic hypertension I think you already have a 1 in 4 chance of developing it anyway.

The best thing to do is to learn as much as you can about this horrific disease and monitor yourself closely (as well as agreeing to the plan of care with your doctors) good luck.
-Elissa, January 2007: stillborn at 25 weeks, severe PE, IUGR, reverse-end diastolic flow
- Chronic hypertension as of November 2007
-missed miscarriage Feb 2009
- Ismael Jaden, June 2010, 36 wks, oligohydramnios & rising BP's, my wonderful little man & the love of my life
- Janelle, September 2011, 24wks, 3days. complete placental abruption & DIC, stillborn
rosalinda

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi! I just lost my whole message that I wrote to you, so I will try again.....

My doctor also expressed the same concerns as your doctor about my second pregnancy, but I was able to go a lot farther the second time around. My first pregnancy ended at 26 weeks due to superimposed/severe PE, but my second pregnancy went all the way to 35 weeks. Yes, I did develop PE again, but it occured later and not as severe as the first pregnancy. I truly believe that Lovenox shots helped me do so well the second time around. I started taking them twice a day at about 8 weeks along. They also helped my sister get to 35 weeks. We both have these weird blood clotting disorders that neither of us knew about until her OB tested her for them after a miscarriage. Turns out I have them too, and they can lead to pregnancy complications, such as PE.

I wish you the best of luck!
Suzanne, Mom to:
Hannah Rose - 26 weeker - 1 pound, 1 ounce and 12 inches long, born 8/24/01. Now the tallest kid in the class!
Brandon James - 35 weeker - 4 pounds, 1 ounce and 16 inches long, born 11/11/09. Very happy baby!

Complications during pregnancies: Severe Preeclampsia, Pulmonary Edema, IUGR, MTHFR, Factor II and Factor V Blood Clotting disorders

Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh, and I was a lot older the second time around. I delivered at age 26 the first time, and at age 35 the second time.
Suzanne, Mom to:
Hannah Rose - 26 weeker - 1 pound, 1 ounce and 12 inches long, born 8/24/01. Now the tallest kid in the class!
Brandon James - 35 weeker - 4 pounds, 1 ounce and 16 inches long, born 11/11/09. Very happy baby!

Complications during pregnancies: Severe Preeclampsia, Pulmonary Edema, IUGR, MTHFR, Factor II and Factor V Blood Clotting disorders

Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia