Woke up with pitting edema...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
z1ggy23

Re: Woke up with pitting edema...

Postby z1ggy23 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 04:59 pm

Glad you are home that you and baby are healthy.
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

We're home!

The magnesium sulfate was awful -- but I understand why they put me on it. At least it wasn't as bad as the first time around, because they were inducing labor when I had my son back in 2007. This time all the labor and that nonsense was over. My hospital is very mother-baby, so there is NO nursery if someone is available to stay with you. I was worried about the baby while I was on the mag, because it made me so out of it. I kept telling my mom that she had to watch me if I was holding him, because I was so worried I'd fall asleep.

But all is well now. We're home, we're happy, we're safe, we're healthy. Baby Sam has lost a little more weight than they'd like, but he's right on the line, and they're wondering if the 24 hours mag sulfate just made my milk come in late. Everything else is perfect.

Thanks again for all the support, everyone. You're all amazing.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)
http://www.brigidkemmerer.com

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 am

The pressure drop is VERY GOOD.

How's your head? Are you off the mag yet?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Woo hoo! Welcome baby Sam!

I'm so sorry about the headache and the mag, though! Yes, medical folks seem to say "delivery is the cure" a lot, but they leave out that you can still have post-partum PE. I'd guess you'll be on mag at least 24 hours - that seems to be standard. If your headache is still bad they may keep you on it a bit longer. They're worried about cerebral edema and seizures (eclampsia), like Alanna said, and mag cuts the risk of seizures in half. Hang in there - I have a special hatred for mag because I was so miserable on it but it saves lives!

Ask anything you need to about post-partum PE or anything else! I'm so glad you went in when you did and have a healthy baby! And I hope to hear that you're on the mend very soon.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Wed Sep 07, 2011 05:14 pm

Hi, guys,

Baby Sam is great. He was born just after 4pm yesterday afternoon, and he's healthy and perfect. Snoozing all day.

My platelets keep dropping. My headache is brutal. My pressures are awesome -- like 116 / 60. But they just hung mag sulfate because of the platelets and the headache. Now I'm miserable. I hate this. I thought delivery would solve all the problems. I didn't know they could keep getting worse! I don't even know what to expect.
Brigid Kemmerer
Mother of two boys, ages 6 (born 33wks due to pre-E) and 2 (born 36wks due to pre-E).
Wife, mother, YA author, and admin manager. Independently supporting the coffee industry since 2007. :-)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 01:38 pm

Good. The "something brewing" comment and the platelets are a trend towards HELLP. And I do *not* like the headache. Postpartum the symptoms can even worsen for a few weeks, so I'm glad they're stopping the cascade now.

Please keep us posted as you're able.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

susheli

Postby susheli » Tue Sep 06, 2011 08:48 pm

I too am so glad you went in. I hope your delivery went very smoothly and that you're resting with your baby in your or hubby's arms right now. Let us know how you are when you can! xo Sus

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 07:55 pm

I'm so glad you decided to go to L&D. I hope the delivery went smoothly and you have a speedy recovery.

Please let us know how you get on.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 04:51 pm

Well, I'm so glad my husband made me come in. Blood pressures aren't too bad but the bloodwork shows that my platelets have gone from 189 to 120 in less than a week. That plus pressures plus headache plus something else I can't remember (uric acid?) Means they are going to deliver today!! Say a prayer. One hour until c-section. ...
Good luck!
Brandilyn, loving wife and mom to three PIH/CHT/PE babies
M (8/07) 38w1d
L (9/09) 37w3d
E (9/11) 37w

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 am

Well, I'm so glad my husband made me come in. Blood pressures aren't too bad but the bloodwork shows that my platelets have gone from 189 to 120 in less than a week. That plus pressures plus headache plus something else I can't remember (uric acid?) Means they are going to deliver today!! Say a prayer. One hour until c-section. ...
Brigid Kemmerer

Return to “Ask the Experienced”