1 year anniversary

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

1 year anniversary

Postby cmccaffrey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:20 pm

My son's birth and death anniversary are on the horizon and I have no ideas what to do. Unfortunately, we live 2500 miles away from where we buried Mason and our family is also pretty far away, so there goes having a little memorial with close family or anything. What were some ways you honored your babies? We were thinking about taking an over night trip and spending some time just the two of us, but that's all I have so far. Any ideas?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: 1 year anniversary

Postby sam10 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 pm

The first time around is so hard, but then again, I am not sure it it will get any easier. Whatever feels right to you on such a day is the right thing to do. If this means going away with your husband for a few days, then this is what you should do. I had the need to bake a birthday cake from scratch, buy a card and write it to my little Henry. Not sure I'll do the same this year, but I might.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby Shannonlynn » Fri Sep 30, 2011 07:13 am

You could plant a flowering shrub or small flowering tree in his honor. Maybe create a little garden for him, as you are able. You could start with the tree/shrub and go from there. I think I have seen you say you are in california, so you could find something for your zone. Maybe something that has a beautiful color at this time of year, to remind you of his beauty.

Just a thought. I plan to create a garden space for my son, a little meditation garden. Thinking of you~Shannon
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Postby kerisue » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 am

My baby's grave is near so it is easy for me to visit, but since yours is not, I like the meditation garden idea. I made a donation to PE foundation in my daughter's memory on her birthday with the money I would have spent buying her gifts. It was also helpful, though painful, for me to retell the story of the day of her birth- a long, crazy, awful day- to my family and to get their memories and impressions of that day too. I got out all the little mementos of her that I have tucked away- her nicu bracelet, her birth certificate, our scrapbook, etc.
I'd love to know what you decide to do for Mason.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Sep 30, 2011 09:53 pm

We rented a few rooms on the beach. We had family.friends and some of Benjmain's nicu nurses come and spend the day we us. We had lots of yummy food and drinks. We listened to music and swam in the ocean. It was comforting to be around people who knew and loved our son. It was bittersweet but I felt very supported. We put his pictures out ,candles and flowers too.
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby cmccaffrey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 04:08 pm

Well, my hubs and I decided we are going to go up the coast to Santa Barbara for a few days to kind of get to be alone and think about Mason. If we stayed in LA my husband would probably get sucked into working somehow and then it would defeat the entire purpose of him even taking time off. I really wanted to do something very special, but it's hard to have a memorial in a place where you just don't feel like you belong. A few of my friends offered to do something with us, but I told them I think I would rather like to just make it a annual ritual to walk for the March of Dimes or the Preeclampsia walk. I feel like doing something to raise awareness or bring help for others would bring more honor to his life, but that's just the way I feel since I can't be anywhere near he is laid to rest. I also wanted to plant a little garden, but my husband said he doesn't think that's a good idea because if a plant were to die, I might end up taking it to heart and freaking out or something. So I am still thinking about that one.

Thanks for your lovely suggestions.
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby brandi101 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:30 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you and ur husband its a relly rough time but together you will make it through
Wife and mother
angel lou born 11/11/05 healthy and full term
kayleigh michelle stillborn angel 8/31/09 1 pd 6 oz 10 inces long
briedon silas born 7/9/10 healthy induced at 38 weeks heprin baby allergy to lovenox
we all miss our baby girl
brandi101

Return to Grief and Loss