Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hello and questions to ask pre-conception?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Hello and questions to ask pre-conception?

Postby LeosMom » Fri Sep 30, 2011 02:47 pm

by LeosMom (6 Posts), Fri Sep 30, 2011 02:47 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm 29, married, and live in Cleveland, OH. I delivered our son at 29 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome. I never had high BP. I went to the ER with abdominal pain, was told I had extremely low platelet counts and protein in my urine, and was given a C-section two days later. The whole thing was a whirlwind of shock and horror. I had just had an ultrasound 2 days before and was told everything looked fine. My son was born IUGR weighing 1 lb 15 oz and 13.5 in long. We were in the NICU for 60 days. He is now 8 months old (5 months corrected) and so far so good. He is amazing. At first I felt so cheated by our experience, but now I just feel so lucky that he is here and doing well.

I'm posting because this coming week I have my first visit with a new OB and plan to discuss what our future holds. We're not ready to start trying again, but had hoped to try after about a year for our second (and last) child before all this happened. I'm wondering what kinds of questions I should ask the doctor? I felt like my OB did little to help us both before and after our experience, so I hope to approach this new doc with a list of questions so I can make sure we're proactive. The thought of trying again terrifies me.
LeosMom

Re: Hello and questions to ask pre-conception?

Postby blythe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:18 am

by blythe (3060 Posts), Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:18 am

Welcome! I'm glad you found us but sorry you had to. I'm glad you and your son survived your ordeal and are doing well now.

We've had posters beg to stay in the hospital their entire subsequent pregnancies - we understand how scary it can be! More members should be along soon to share their experiences and thought on questions to ask.

Is your doc an MFM or regular OB?
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia