Natural things to thin blood.

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Natural things to thin blood.

Postby ktsl123 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 02:45 pm

garlic
100% purple grape juice(not concentrated)
cinnamon
ginger
fish oil
cayenne pepper
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Re: Natural things to thin blood.

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Sun Nov 13, 2011 08:29 pm

interesting! :)
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 08:54 pm

You know it isn't that aspirin/heparin are blood thinners that's the theoretical mechanism in play, though? They used to think it was because it might thin the blood; now researchers think if there's any effect it's because of the antiinflammatory effect these have because of other biochemical cascades that they trigger.

Also, at the CME this weekend we learned that there's a new paper coming out in _Circulation_ this month which shows that heparin (maybe also Lovenox?) *upregulates* soluble flt, which is pretty counterintuitive as a means of preeclampsia prevention!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 09:37 pm

Oh! And on that note here's *another* new study reporting the same thing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21545366

This study demonstrates that aPL perturb the secretion of trophoblast angiogenic factors. LMWH does not reverse this effect but exacerbates sFlt-1 secretion, a potent anti-angiogenic factor. These findings may help to explain why women with antiphospholipid syndrome, who are treated with heparin to prevent early pregnancy loss, remain at increased risk of developing late obstetrical complications, such as pre-eclampsia...

Also, fish oil got ruled out a while ago: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18669736

Supplementation with fish oil, calcium, or vitamin C and E and the use of antihypertensives have been shown to be ineffective in the prevention of recurrent preeclampsia and are not recommended.

and has the potential to worsen matters (in this study it made you almost *5 times* more likely to get it): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1648 ... stractPlus

That last is an example of why I always say to run supplements past your MFMs!

Anyway, I doubt thinning the blood per se will do anything. If blood thinners like heparin/Lovenox/LDA are doing anything at all (and a lot of MFMs would say at least LDA is not, given the data from randomized controlled trials) it's likely because of something else that they do too, and not just because they thin the blood.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby ktsl123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Makes me wonder why my high risk Dr would recommend me taking fish oil.... I am getting nervous that he is not keeping up to date on preeclampsia.
ktsl123

Postby blythe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 00:16 am

I think your fish oil question is definitely a fair one. He / she may still be a very good doc, just not up-to-date on the prevention research. I'd be most interested in how he/she will be following your pregnancy, how and how often you and baby will be monitored, what kinds of things he'd find reassuring or more worrisome as your pregnancy progresses, and how aggressive / willing to wait and see when it comes to delivery indications.
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Postby ktsl123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 01:36 pm

I asked my Dr about the fish oil and he said it is something he personally believes in even though some things do not back it up.....
ktsl123

Postby alviarin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 08:16 pm

I take fish oil also per my gp's reccomendation, more for overall heart health though. I wouldn't want to take cod liver oil, I would worry about getting too much vitamin A.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia