Has anyone watched the Disney movie Up?

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
angieb

Re: Has anyone watched the Disney movie Up?

Postby angieb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Buttercup72 wrote:I have to disagree with those of you that think this a depressing movie. The beginning is sad. I did get teary eyed watching that part, but I get teary eyed easily. My daughter is 11 and thinks I'm nuts. My husband cried at the endn of Despicable Me.

I think it has a positive message; especially the end. Here are two people that are missing something in their lives and they find each other. The old man finally lets the little boy into his heart. They help each other really. Next time you watch it trying looking at it from a different point of view.

Yes I just lost a baby this past week, so I'm not saying this without understanding loss.

Sorry for responding to this a few months later, I'm just now seeing this.

I have to disagree with your disagreement. You might have found the movie happy or whatever, that's fine for you, but it's also fine for people who find the movie depressing to say it's too depressing for them. For me, the "positive message" didn't outweigh the depressing. I thought it was a horrible "children's movie" and have no intention of watching it again or letting DS watch it. Anyway, my overall point is that in grieving especially, it's not okay to tell people how they should feel. If you thought the movie was great and it comforted you, fantastic. If you thought it was horrible and broke the dvd in half, that's okay too.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

JB

Postby JB » Wed Feb 29, 2012 01:30 am

I saw this movie about six months after I had a miscarriage in my first pregnancy. I was babysitting my brother's three children for a week and I decided to watch it with the kids because they liked it and I had heard good things about it. By the time the opening sequence was over I was a wreck. I appreciate that it is a very poignant portrayal of the realistic struggle many couples go through, but I was angry that it was sprung on me when I wasn't expecting it. I was looking forward to enjoying a fun movie with my niece and nephews, not reliving the pain of losing my baby. I knew the story was about a friendship between an old man and a boy, and I would not have been surprised to find the old man passed away in the end, but I had no idea it delved into miscarriage and infertility. To this day I can't bring myself to like the movie, even though I know that opening sequence was very well done.
1st - miscarried at 11 weeks in Dec. 2009
2nd - baby girl born Mar. 2011 at 29 weeks 6 days due to severe PE
3rd - baby boy due June 19th, 2012

Buttercup72

Postby Buttercup72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:19 am

I have to disagree with those of you that think this a depressing movie. The beginning is sad. I did get teary eyed watching that part, but I get teary eyed easily. My daughter is 11 and thinks I'm nuts. My husband cried at the endn of Despicable Me.

I think it has a positive message; especially the end. Here are two people that are missing something in their lives and they find each other. The old man finally lets the little boy into his heart. They help each other really. Next time you watch it trying looking at it from a different point of view.

Yes I just lost a baby this past week, so I'm not saying this without understanding loss.

ScottiesGama

Postby ScottiesGama » Sun Dec 18, 2011 03:50 am

I sure did and never will again why in the world would they make cartoon so sad my 3 yr granddaughter said gama I dont like this movie is too sad hated it, and dont even think about watching City of Angel thats a major NO NO.... Happy Holiday Everyone
Without you I feel so Empty, Cheated, Robbed, Broken. Without you even in my happy moments are ruined because I feel your absence, and hate myself for having to going on without you. I would of given my life to spare your Mommy and Daddy this Pain
Grandma Loves and Misses you so very much now and for the rest of my life..
If you are reading this PLEASE go to Youtube,com search and view 444SJC or The Story of Scottie Jordan Cartagena, and share with as many people as possible, if were lucky together we could prevent at least one family from suffering this unimaginable loss.

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Ok so I saw this movie and loved it!
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 06:45 am

I kinda think anyone not like us or knowing someone like us just brushes over that part and forgets about it. In fact I just saw engagement pictures to the theme of disney's "up"... I was like wow... that is not how I would want to start my marriage.
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 08:12 pm

I *loved* _Up_, because it was honest enough to acknowledge that not all the endings are happy. Women like us are a little less invisible because of that movie.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

angieb

Postby angieb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 04:36 pm

One of the most depressing movies ever!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 am

I'm pretty sure it is disney/pixar... it's fairly new and one to avoid for sure!!!
Val (34) & Carlos (32)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks (1 lb 4oz, 14 inches) because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
Nicholas Robert, 11/22/2013 7 lb 7oz 19.5 inches, born at 36 weeks (due to previous classical c-section) PE FREE!!!!!!

holly3372@msn.com

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Wed Aug 03, 2011 09:07 am

Hmmmm a disney movie I never even heard of? Thanks for the warning!
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013

Return to “Grief and Loss”