Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Recurrent miscarriage following PE

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support

Recurrent miscarriage following PE

Postby Cal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 07:56 pm

by Cal (1 Posts), Thu Oct 06, 2011 07:56 pm

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced recurrent miscarriages following PE?
I developed Eclampsia with my son who was safely delivered at 36 weeks in 2007.
I miscarried at 9 weeks in 2008.
My daughter was born at 40 weeks without no signs of PE in 2009.
I have since had 2 more miscarriages this year at 9 weeks and 11 weeks. I am having some tests and things done at the moment but I'm wondering about a link between PE and recurrent miscarriages as both my sisters also had PE with their first child and also lost over half of all their pregnancies due to miscarriage. I have been taking baby asprin with all my pregnancies due to a strong family history of PE.
Cal

Re: Recurrent miscarriage following PE

Postby uncskristy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:54 pm

by uncskristy (170 Posts), Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:54 pm

I have been fortunate and not experienced any miscarriages myself but one of the diseases I was tested for after having severe preeclampsia was Antiphospholipid syndrome. To be diagnosed with APS, along with the actual blood test results you had to have a certain number of unexplained miscarriages or an early birth due to PE. Maybe you can talk to your OB or MFM/Perinatologist about it and see if that was one of the tests they were running.
Kristy
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005
uncskristy

Postby Buttercup72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:28 am

by Buttercup72 (16 Posts), Mon Dec 19, 2011 08:28 am

That is a very interesting question. My daughter is 11 1/2. I had PE with her. She was born at 36 weeks with a few complications, but is very healthy today. I receIntly had a miscarriage at 15 weeks. I never had any signs of miscarriage and the baby was only 11 weeks. My husband and I have been married for 2 years. After a year we thought we were unable to have any children, but we had a suprise this September. I had BP issues beginning at 10 weeks. Big fluctuations. I have been wondering if there were any connection with this. My friend though had PE with her first who is the same age as mine, and mild PE with her second. She never had any miscarriages. I plan on meeting with a MFM before deciding to have anymore, and this is a question that I am going to ask. I'm 39 so I know age can cause miscarriages as well.
Buttercup72

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 03:15 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Mon Dec 19, 2011 03:15 pm

This seems likely to happen to some women with PE - because the problem is that implantation doesn't proceed correctly, and if the placenta doesn't get properly embedded, it can throw off all sorts of things that happen later in development.

Perhaps chronic hypertensives or people who develop PE because of underlying kidney issues wouldn't have this, because their issue is handling the additional inflammation of pregnancy?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby brandib » Sun Dec 25, 2011 01:54 pm

by brandib (510 Posts), Sun Dec 25, 2011 01:54 pm

So sorry for your losses. I don't know why it happens, but I have had 3 m/c's following preeclamptic pregnancies. As in preeclamptic pregnancy, m/c, preeclamptic pregnancy, m/c....etc.
brandib

Return to Grief and Loss