New/Reply FAQ Members Login

So angry.

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: So angry.

Postby mymiracles2 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:04 am

I totally understand you situation! A few years back, courage collected we went to talk to the MFM that had been involved in our second daughter's delivery. He flat out said you shouldn't have more. I was beyond frustrated, as they knew, as did I, what was wrong with me, didn't that help. i felt confident going in that if something were to happen, we would be armed with knowledge to help us through. It left my husband petrified. 3 years later we are pregnant, my husband again petrified, and I have to go to the same MFM that gave me the dismal news. I still choose to feel optimistic, but truthfully a bit scared. Medicine isn't perfect, and the doctors are only human, but i feel empowered by the fact that I KNOW what to look for. I think I was looking for someone to give me permission to go ahead, but they can;t they have to look at it statistically. Good luck with you decision :) .
mymiracles2

Postby caryn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 am

This is *absolutely* what is going on - the docs cannot tell you what to do. They can only give you odds. It's a medical ethics thing for getting informed consent from the patient, but not being paternalistic.

It's often helpful to ask them what they would do in your situation, or how they would advise their wife if she were in your shoes. It gives you a better idea of how someone with more experience than you would weight your risks. But that said, the doc is not you, and does not necessarily share your values. The trick is to make a decision that respects your values in the face of your risks...
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jmom08 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 02:02 pm

I wanted to add a hug and a note to say that I can relate to the anxiety and anger, and to share that I got a lot of relief from seeing a therapist who specializes in women's issues and reproductive issues. I was referred to 2 different therapists by my OB, and from reviewing their profiles and calling one, I realized that neither one was a good mesh with my needs/beliefs, and instead I went to one that I was referred to by a local mom's board. And she was AWESOME. I didn't have much support from my husband, either... very painful. One of the things the therapist had me do (in addition to affirming the whole experience, nobody had ever really done that, I got a lot of "wow, well at least you and baby are OK!" subject changers), was to write everything out, the whole thing. It took me 75 pages (it was an eventful pregnancy). She then suggested I have my husband read it -- his memory is swiss cheese, but I think for at least the couple of hours it took him to read it, he temporarily got it. That helped some.
Also, I was intially reluctant to go to therapy, and it was here on the PF forum that I got the encouragement I needed to go. :) Many hugs and good luck on your decisions.
jmom08

Previous

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders