Heart issues and HELLP?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Heart issues and HELLP?

Postby JScruggs19 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 09:59 am

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a very long time, but I experienced HELLP with my pregnancy back in November of 2010. Since then there have been several tests for autoimmune disorders and other things, all which have come back normal. However, I have had fairly frequent heart palpitations since the birth of my son. I actually got them prior to my pregnancy, but they would be very rare...now they occur more frequently. After wearing a heart monitor, it looks like I am basically experiencing inappropriate sinus tachycardia. This isn't a very serious thing from what I gather, but I am on a low dose beta-blocker to help with the symptoms.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar after surviving HELLP. There is probably no connection, but I thought I would ask others just to see.
JScruggs19

Re: Heart issues and HELLP?

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 04:26 pm

There is a known connection between heart disease and preeclampsia, with HELLP considered under the preeclampsia "umbrella". Here's one recent study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21083867

and a link to a discussion in the News forum: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 28&t=44478

and the "recent studies and articles" link in my .sig has more.

I'm trying to turn up more on this.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby JScruggs19 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow...thank you so much for the link. It is so easy to separate the two, but I can see that I shouldn't and that my doctor shouldn't either. I really appreciate the help.
JScruggs19

Postby kristal1213 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I have had palpitations. Some before and a whole bunch a few months ago, I have been tested for underlying disorders and have had many test started. I am seeing a cardiologist next week due to a holter monitor saying I have a sinus arrhythmia. Not commpletly sure what it means or what the holter showed. I will let you know what my cardiologist says and if he thinks it is related to my 2 rounds of HELLP.
kristal1213

Postby olivejuice0806 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:14 pm

After baby #2, I was having continued visual disturbance, and my doctor wanted me to get a cardiology consult. Turned out I had a mitral valve regurgitation that I had never had before. They attributed it to my high bp, and followed me for two years until it repaired itself.
Shanda (38)
Baby #1 PE 11/3/1993 39 weeks 7lbs. 4oz.
Baby #2 Severe PE/HELLP 9/21/1999 31 weeks 4lbs. 2oz
Baby #3 Mild PE 6/1/2007 39 weeks 7lbs. 1oz.
Baby #4 PE 10/31/2012 37 weeks 6lbs. 11 oz.
Miscarriage 5/2010
Miscarriage 10/2011
olivejuice0806

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders