When to TTC after severe pe and a stillbirth

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Re: When to TTC after severe pe and a stillbirth

Postby mychaelelaine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 09:17 pm

So sorry to hear about your doctor's visit. It seemed to have gone exactly like mine in November last year. We delivered our daughter stillborn @ almost 24 weeks October 17th, 2011. I had severe pre-e and hellp syndrome. Anyway, I was determined to start trying @ the 6th month mark against my doctor and husband's wishes. I'm pregnant now. :) :) We weren't necessarily trying but weren't preventing since we weren't using protection. I was heartbroken (again, after losing my daughter) when I heard the obgyn say we should wait a year. Thank God we got pregnant this soon. I'm just hoping and praying all goes well. This will be my last. Best wishes to you. I hope your time comes soon!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby mom41 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 09:10 am

I am so sorry about your loss and upsetting dr's visit. Here is my experience - after the twins both ob and MFM told me to have blood work to rule put thrombophilia, clotting disorders and common autoimmune disorders, and not to have another twin pregnancy. They were OK to start TTC after 1-2 cycles but most importantly when I felt mentally and emotionally ready. I had vaginal delivery w the twins (there were 1 lb each) and c section in 2004.
Just like many others, looking back I REALLY NEEDED those 6 months to recover, even though mine and my husband's advanced age was advancing further. Getting pg without even TTC, with a due date 51 weeks after the twins' due date, was a big surprise, but tells me I was ready. Also, I remember reading something about having a lower chance of subsequent pre-e with the same partner if the pregnancies are closer together .. maybe Caryn or our moderators will have some research evidence for us ....
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)
mom41

Postby LalaPants » Sun Apr 01, 2012 01:08 pm

I am sorry for your loss.

When I was delivering my son (s/b at 22 weeks), the OB told me that I could not get pregnant again. At my 6 week pp checkup, he briefly went over the pathology report and then spent the rest of the time talking about sterilization and giving me brochures to the fertility clinic so I could try surrogacy. I was crushed to lose my son, but even more devastated at the thought that I would never have a child of my own. It took several months before I finally listened to some of the other doctors who suggested that I get a second opinion. In a way I'm lucky because we knew I had an underlying medical issue (lupus) and I was able to get a referral to see the head of the lupus clinic at awesome local teaching hospital (ALTH). She has done numerous studies on lupus during pregnancy and gave us some good advice, though with the caveat that if we decided to try we should wait until my lupus bloodwork was normal for 6 months. We also saw a MFM at ALTH - he commented that one aspect of my blood work was still a little high and that I should wait til that was normal for 3 months. We ended up waiting nearly a year after the loss to start TTC but got lucky and got a positive our first month trying. I do think that waiting has been good for my husband and I from a mental-health standpoint. I feel much more relaxed and excited than I think I would have if we had started trying right away. That said, I know how much it aches to be told wait wait wait when you want to start trying right away. I hope that you have a good, helpful visit with the MFM and that you are able to start trying sooner rather than later.
mom to Leonardo, stillborn April 2011 at 22 weeks due to HELLP/severe pre-e

I have lupus w/ APS
Planning on TTC in early 2012
LalaPants

Postby mychaelelaine » Wed Apr 04, 2012 03:14 pm

I know how you feel. I'm so sorry for your loss! I had severe pre-e and hellp. I was told to wait a year. I had my daughter @ 23 weeks, 2 days and am now 11 weeks pregnant. It wasn't necessarily on purpose. We weren't trying at all, I wanted to at least wait til April, but we weren't extremely preventing (aka withdrawal method). I was told to wait because I took so long for my bp to go back to normal, about 14 weeks postpartum. I stayed in the hospital after delivery a week and a half and went back 3 times. They never got my bp down after I delivered, I discharged myself. I think I was instructed to wait a year because of the fact that my bp was being so difficult. I have heard many women say 3 months. Emotionally, I think you should TTC when you are ready. Physically, it's probably best to take advice from an MFM you respect and trust.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby webster007 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 03:51 pm

Hi there
Im from NZ and had severe early onset pe at 24 weeks, unfortunately had a still birth. Was very unwell like your self and afterwards felt so empty. I lost the baby in Feb 10 and was pregnant again in July 10 delivering a healthy baby boy March 11 at 37+6 with no PE or Help. My bp starting going up a bit at the end but that was all. My baby was very healthy and is now a year old. I was on aspirin from about 4 weeks gestation. Dont get your hopes down, you will have a healthy baby to. If I can do it Im sure you will too. I think if your body has returned to normal ie. bps good, cycles back to normal there shouldnt be any reason to not start trying.
The second pregnancy was very stressful and I was quite anxious the whole way through to the birth but it was worth it and as long as you have great maternity care like I did Im sure you will have a healthy baby too. :) Hope that helps. I was desperate to hear of storys of woman having healthy preg and babys post severe pe and I like to think that I can put your mind as ease :)
webster007

Postby Kathrynwwjd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 05:23 am

I lost my baby girl at 24 weeks on 31st May 2012 due to developing severe pre-eclampsia.
When I was discharged from hospital the doctor said not to get pregnant until my blood pressure had stablised. I have been put into a very low dose of lisinopril tablets for blood pressure. I am seeing my doctor in 2 weeks and hoping to come off the medication.

We are still waiting for an appointment to get the post mortem results and to plan for future pregnancies.
I am so desperate to start trying again.
Elsie Lily Munday stillborn at 24 weeks 31st May 2012 due to severe pre-eclampsia. Always loved never forgotten.
Kathrynwwjd

Postby tree » Fri Jun 29, 2012 08:46 pm

Hi Kathryn,
Welcome to the forums. I am so sorry for the loss of your little girl. I hope you are able to get an appointment soon to discuss your particular situation. We all seem to get varying information on how long we should wait to conceive again. My doctor didn't give me any specific guidance, some doctors recommend six months or about a year. It really depends on how you delivered and how your body is recovering. Many women have to stay on blood pressure meds for a while after delivery. Some women have to stay on them, others get off in a period of months or weeks. It is really individual.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia