Introduction and worried

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Introduction and worried

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:24 pm

Welcome!

That's a high spike, and it's been a while since anyone ran labs or checked for proteinurea, right? I'd want someone to reassess my labs in your shoes.

How are your kick counts?

Anxiety can actually be a symptom of the disease- the placenta manipulates things like your cortisol levels - so I wonder about that as well. I had crazy anxiety at the end of my pregnancy.

If you develop any new symptoms today or begin to feel worse, don't hesitate to drop by L&D, report that spike and your pregnancy history, and ask for labs to make sure you're holding stable. Women can creep along for weeks with hypertension in subsequent pregnancies, but this disease is also sneaky, and there's no harm in ruling out disease.

Please keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

Dee80

Introduction and worried

Postby Dee80 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 02:35 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my second baby! We are so excited but I am a nervous wreck! My daughter was born at 34 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. She spent 11 days in the nicu and is now a healthy, happy 2.5 year old. She brings so much joy to our lives and I feel so blessed.

I had a perfect pregnancy with her until my 34 week appointment. My Bp was always 120/80 and at that appointment it was elevated and I had protein. Her heart rate was also up so I was immediately sent to triage were more tests were ran and found out I had severe preeclampsia and was induced that day. That was the hardest thing I have ever been through. It took me 6 months post partum to get my Bp back to normal.

I am currently 30 weeks with baby number two! About two weeks ago I started to experience swelling, frontal headache, anxiousness and was nauseous. Took my Bp at home for 24 hours and it flucuated between 130/90 to 148/100. I immediately called my doctor and was told to go to the hospital. They did bloodwork which came back good and was told to go home and do 24 hour urine test. Protein levels came back at 180.

I am now being monitored by my doctor once a week. Had an ultrasound a week ago and baby is doing great. Since this has all happened a couple weeks ago I have been monitoring my Bp on a daily basis. Today it went up to 152/100. It flucuates everyday but has not dropped down to my normal 120/80.

I am so so so nervous. Today I also noticed white blotches on my thighs. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I have my weekly doctors appointment tomorrow but I just wanted to see if anyone is or has gone through the same thing with their second pregnancy.

Return to “Pregnant Again?”