Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Introduction and worried

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Introduction and worried

Postby Dee80 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 02:35 pm

by Dee80 (19 Posts), Mon Mar 26, 2012 02:35 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my second baby! We are so excited but I am a nervous wreck! My daughter was born at 34 weeks due to severe preeclampsia. She spent 11 days in the nicu and is now a healthy, happy 2.5 year old. She brings so much joy to our lives and I feel so blessed.

I had a perfect pregnancy with her until my 34 week appointment. My Bp was always 120/80 and at that appointment it was elevated and I had protein. Her heart rate was also up so I was immediately sent to triage were more tests were ran and found out I had severe preeclampsia and was induced that day. That was the hardest thing I have ever been through. It took me 6 months post partum to get my Bp back to normal.

I am currently 30 weeks with baby number two! About two weeks ago I started to experience swelling, frontal headache, anxiousness and was nauseous. Took my Bp at home for 24 hours and it flucuated between 130/90 to 148/100. I immediately called my doctor and was told to go to the hospital. They did bloodwork which came back good and was told to go home and do 24 hour urine test. Protein levels came back at 180.

I am now being monitored by my doctor once a week. Had an ultrasound a week ago and baby is doing great. Since this has all happened a couple weeks ago I have been monitoring my Bp on a daily basis. Today it went up to 152/100. It flucuates everyday but has not dropped down to my normal 120/80.

I am so so so nervous. Today I also noticed white blotches on my thighs. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I have my weekly doctors appointment tomorrow but I just wanted to see if anyone is or has gone through the same thing with their second pregnancy.
Dee80

Re: Introduction and worried

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:24 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Mon Mar 26, 2012 05:24 pm

Welcome!

That's a high spike, and it's been a while since anyone ran labs or checked for proteinurea, right? I'd want someone to reassess my labs in your shoes.

How are your kick counts?

Anxiety can actually be a symptom of the disease- the placenta manipulates things like your cortisol levels - so I wonder about that as well. I had crazy anxiety at the end of my pregnancy.

If you develop any new symptoms today or begin to feel worse, don't hesitate to drop by L&D, report that spike and your pregnancy history, and ask for labs to make sure you're holding stable. Women can creep along for weeks with hypertension in subsequent pregnancies, but this disease is also sneaky, and there's no harm in ruling out disease.

Please keep us posted as you're able!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:55 pm

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:55 pm

Does your doc know how high your pressures are spiking? If not I would call, even after hours.

During my second pregnancy my pressures also jumped around a lot but I was told to call if my pressures stayed above 140/90 for a half hour (ie didn't go down with rest).
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby Dee80 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 04:37 pm

by Dee80 (19 Posts), Tue Mar 27, 2012 04:37 pm

Thank you for your comments!

I had my doctors appointment today and they decided to put me on labetalol twice a day. I also have to repeat bloodwork and 24 hour urine collection. They also want to continue to see me once a week.

I definitely need to be on Bp medication, it just makes me nervous to take medication while pregnant. I am going to start taking it tonight. Itook labetalol for 6 months postpartum with my first pregnancy. I would love to hear any feedback from anyone that has been prescribed Bp medication while pregnant! Did you have any side effects? Did you still develope preeclampsia while on Bp medication?
Dee80

Postby trish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:16 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:16 pm

I was on labetalol my entire pregnancy - it's very common & considered very pregnancy safe. But, you can still develop PE on BP meds so still keep an eye on any other symptoms besides BP. Hang in there!
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby MaisiesMama » Wed Mar 28, 2012 02:00 am

by MaisiesMama (19 Posts), Wed Mar 28, 2012 02:00 am

I was SO upset when I was prescribed Labetatol while pregnant! I wish I had known that it was really not something to freak out over. If your doctor is putting you on it, it's because you being on the med is healthier for your baby than you not being on it. That's how I had to think of it. As bp spikes and stays higher, it can cause decreased blood flow to the placenta, which is more dangerous than the medication. Just know that you are doing what you have to do to keep that baby cookin' as long as possible. MANY women take Labetalol during pregnancy. Personally, I had zero side effects, but I did still develop preeclampsia. Good luck. Hopefully this remains PIH, and is controlled well on the Labetalol.
Mommy to Maisie, born 7.5 weeks early due to preeclampsia.
MaisiesMama

Postby Dee80 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:02 pm

by Dee80 (19 Posts), Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:02 pm

Thank you so much for all the feedback! It means a lot to know there are others that have been through the same thing.

After being on labetalol for a day and half I started experiencing dizziness, more swelling of my face and hands,I was sweating an abnormal amount and I couldn't focus on anything. I called my doctor immediately and they switched my Bp medication to aldomet 250 mg twice a day. I starting taking aldomet last night and haven't had any side effects. I've been monitoring my Bp today and it has been in the high 130s/90s with a spike an hour ago of 158/94. I had bloodwork today and handed in my 24 hour urine collection so hopefully I will have those results tomorrow. The weird thing is starting this morning my urine was a dark tea color. That was one symptom I had with my last pregnancy when I developed PE. I don't know if I didn't drink enough yesterday and was slightly dehydrated. So I am definitely going to report that to my doctor.
Dee80

Postby Dee80 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 07:38 pm

by Dee80 (19 Posts), Wed Apr 04, 2012 07:38 pm

Just an update as to what has been going on. I had a doctors appt. yesterday and my blood pressure was still elevated, 140s to 150s/90s so my doctor told me to double my dose of my Bp meds. Now I'm taking 500 mg twice a day aldomet. Starting next week he wants me to have nst twice a week. Next Monday I will be 32 weeks. He also said that if all goes well for the remainder of my pregnancy then I will be induced at 37 weeks which will be the week of mothers day. I am praying that I make it to 37 weeks.

Today when I woke up my blood pressure was super high, 149/112. It took hours for it to finally go down to 139/100. I called my doctor and he basically told me to stop taking my Bp pressure at home which made me mad because I only take it a few times a day. And with my history of preeclampsia I am absolutely not going to stop taking it. I feel that I need to be aware of what's going on with my body for myself and my baby. He also told me that I am definitely not where I need to be with my blood pressure meds but he wants gradually increase it because he fears that it would drop my blood pressure to much. Tonight I took my blood pressure and it was 171/94. I laid on my left side for a bit and it finally dropped to 140/94. I am so concerned about these spikes I have been having today. The baby is moving around all day and is very active so that is a positive thing. Also, I did the results from my 24 hour protein test and blood work and everything came back normal. My protein level was 171.

I am so nervous. I don't know if I should just bypass my doctor and head down to l&d when I have a spike in my blood pressure next time.
Dee80

Postby aajatwins » Wed Apr 04, 2012 09:33 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Wed Apr 04, 2012 09:33 pm

Yuck - those numbers don't sound good at all! I, personally, would never stop taking my BP at home knowing that it's spiking that high. How often do you take it? I know some people can go overboard and docs don't want you taking it every 5 mins because it will fluctuate, obviously. But 3 times a day is a good healthy thing to do when you are concerned about the numbers. I would not be satisfied with that being the doctor's answer to your questions about the numbers, either. A person with little or no protein can be just as "in trouble" as a person with high protein... everyone's body acts differently, of this we are certain! so everyone will not have the same set of symptoms or the same course of experiences.

We tend to say, 'when in doubt, call in'. So if you are uncomfortable with your numbers, then call in or go in. Make sure your doctor understands you don't feel good about your BP and that it's stressing you out. Because, if nothing else, I'm sure your doctor does not want you stressing out!!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Postby Dee80 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 06:20 pm

by Dee80 (19 Posts), Mon Apr 09, 2012 06:20 pm

Thanks for the advice aaja twins!! I completely agree with you. I Take my blood pressure 3 to 4 times a day and I think that is healthy. Now, I'm not going to lie, when I do have high spikes like the one I did the other day I will take it every 15 or so minutes until It goes down. I think with our histories of PE it is great for us all to educate ourselves on this disease, take our Bp at home and be aware of all the symptoms! I know it's not going to prevent us from getting PE but it could help,with early intervention if possible!! I wish I was more educated and aware of the symptoms during my last pregnancy. Grant it I delivered a healthy baby girl at 34 weeks. I was experiencing PE symptoms for a week or so and thought they were normal pregnancy symptoms, lucky I had appointment the day that I did!!!
Dee80

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?