Post Reply FAQ Members Login

VERY high blood pressure while (except while on side)

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

VERY high blood pressure while (except while on side)

Postby 6Nichols » Sat Mar 31, 2012 06:40 pm

by 6Nichols (1 Posts), Sat Mar 31, 2012 06:40 pm

Hi everyone! I have a history of preeclampsia which developed at 36 weeks during my last pregnancy. I delivered a healthy baby through induction at 37 weeks. This is my 4th pregnancy. I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension during my first trimester. I am now 31 weeks and 3 days. A week ago I was put on bedrest because of my bp. Blood work came back fine and 24 hr urine was only at 145. I have weekly NSTs and monthly growth scans. At my 28 week scan, baby was measuring a week small with his belly measuring 3 weeks small. At 31 weeks, my belly was measuring a week behind.

Here is my concern.... my bp is OK when I have been lying on my side for atleast 15 minutes (around 140/90 which is good for me) BUT, if I'm sitting or I haven't been laying down long, it gets VERY high. For example, I got up and went to the bathroom and got a glass of water and felt very "off"......I sat back down on my bed and took my BP, it was 146/112. I layed down and took it again in 5 mins and it was 145/102. I waited 10 more mins and it was 140/90. Just knowing that my bp is seriously high everytime I'm sitting or standing instead of laying down very concerns me. I try to stay in bed as often as I can BUT, it's impossible to lay down all of the time, especially because I have 3 other children.

I'm debating calling the dr on call and going into labor and delivery to get checked out, BUT, I think I will get there, be told to lay down and have fine readings. I think if will be a total waste of everyones time. I'm just afraid that my baby isn't getting the proper amount of blood flow from my placenta because of my bp being SO high while NOT resting. I don't know what to do...I just feel like crying. My next appointment isn't until Wednesday, and right now, that seems forever away.
6Nichols

Re: VERY high blood pressure while (except while on side)

Postby alviarin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 08:23 pm

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Sat Mar 31, 2012 08:23 pm

If I were you I'd call tonight. The doc may want you to come in to get checked out, or maybe just want to tweak your BP med dose.

I'm also a chronic hypertensive on BP meds and my doc would want to know if my pressures were running that high.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: VERY high blood pressure while (except while on side)

Postby aajatwins » Sat Mar 31, 2012 09:59 pm

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Sat Mar 31, 2012 09:59 pm

I would also get checked as soon as possible. Knowing that you and baby are measuring a little small and with your BPs being that high.. I would get checked. make sure you tell them how you feel when you get up, too.

please keep us posted as you can!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?