Baby Asprin and other tips....

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Baby Asprin and other tips....

Postby LauraBeck12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 05:21 pm

For those of you who have had a Pre-e absent 2nd pregnancy.... when did your doctor have you start taking asprin?
What other tips have your doctors had you do to keep pre-e away?
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Re: Baby Asprin and other tips....

Postby tree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Laura,
I don't think many doctors think that there is anything we can do to keep pre-E away. There are some pre-existing conditions that can be treated to reduce the chances that PE will strike again. There isn't good statistical evidence for the use of baby aspirin to prevent PE, but many doctors and women here take it anyway. My plan is to keep myself as healthy as possible with diet and exercise (also not proven to be helpful, but it will make me feel better), develop a careful monitoring plan with my doctors, and hope that it doesn't happen again. I wish there was a better answer. I think the most encouraging news is that PE is less common in subsequent pregnancies.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:13 am

My docs had me start with a + test. I also started lovenox at 7ish wks, but I had severe early onset and severe IUGR the first time- a lot of drs don't do lovenox. (FWIW, I was heavier and not as active my 2nd preg as I was with my first- it was a much healthier pregnancy.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby mom41 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 01:51 pm

I was on baby asa, Lovenox 40 daily since 7-8 weeks ( heartbeat) and labetalol. No, nothing stop pre-e, but my MFM is a "lovenox" believer. I also rested a lot and hoped for the best, in addition to growth scans every 2-3 weeks. Good luck !
son 4/2004 subchorionic hematoma but full term, healthy
1/2011 stillborn twins (IVF) due to severe IUGR/ pre-e 23+3 wks, chronic htn
Jason born 3/21/12, 35w 6 days, healthy 4 lbs 15 oz, 18 in, no pre-e but oligo/iugr, 1 week of NICU for hypoglycemia and mild RDS, doing great ! (thank you labetalol, lda, lovenox and my drs!)
mom41

Postby LauraBeck12 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 01:42 pm

I had severe early onset and severe IUGR the first time- a lot of drs don't do lovenox. (FWIW, I was heavier and not as active my 2nd preg as I was with my first- it was a much healthier pregnancy.

I had early onset, severe pre-e with IUGR growth too. I have pretty big uterine fibroids that didn't help anything as well. My son was born at 29.2 weeks and weighed 2lbs, lived for 3 days and then died suddenly in the NICU.
I am absolutely terrified to go through this again.

I started "training" in Jan and have lost about 13lbs so far (Now at 184 lbs).... I'm eating completely organic (an did through out my pregnancy as well). Plan it to start TTC at the end of the year but I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Have many of you had successful (non-eventful) pregnancies with being on Lovenox?
If you have severe, early onset, pre-e that results in a loss, do they not recommend Lovenox?

Any advice on what you did to have a healthy 2nd pregnancy, i am all ears!!
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

LauraBeck12

Postby angieb » Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:50 pm

LauraBeck12 wrote:
I had severe early onset and severe IUGR the first time- a lot of drs don't do lovenox. (FWIW, I was heavier and not as active my 2nd preg as I was with my first- it was a much healthier pregnancy.

I had early onset, severe pre-e with IUGR growth too. I have pretty big uterine fibroids that didn't help anything as well. My son was born at 29.2 weeks and weighed 2lbs, lived for 3 days and then died suddenly in the NICU.
I am absolutely terrified to go through this again.

I started "training" in Jan and have lost about 13lbs so far (Now at 184 lbs).... I'm eating completely organic (an did through out my pregnancy as well). Plan it to start TTC at the end of the year but I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

Have many of you had successful (non-eventful) pregnancies with being on Lovenox?
If you have severe, early onset, pre-e that results in a loss, do they not recommend Lovenox?

Any advice on what you did to have a healthy 2nd pregnancy, i am all ears!!

Actually the opposite. I've only heard of doctor's recommending it if it was a severe early onset case.

Good for you on the weight loss! My MFM did not feel like losing weight would change my odds at all or really impact the pregnancy, she was pretty much right as I did not get sick. So I would try not to stress over it too much, although obviously it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Ruby608, Riehlism (think I am misspelling her screenname), and several other posters were on lovenox and had uneventful second pregnancies, although we definitely also have members that were only on aspirin who had healthy second pregnancies as well (jules, jean).
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby LauraBeck12 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:25 am

Thank you so much for your advice!

LauraBeck12

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 03:55 am

We've also had posters use anticoagulants like Lovenox and get sick again - I think our record-setter got HELLP at 19.5 weeks - so Lovenox definitely shouldn't be expected to be a thing that always helps or even a thing that is always recommended. It's really highly variant by individual circumstance.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby LauraBeck12 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you Caryn! You are always very informative.

LauraBeck12

Postby riehlism » Fri May 04, 2012 00:47 am

I started baby aspirin prior to getting pregnant and Lovenox at 13 weeks. I would have started Lovenox earlier if I had been able to get an appointment sooner.

Angie, you're knocked up again? Congratulations! I guess I've missed out a lot on what's going on around these parts.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia