Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Magnesium

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Magnesium

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Apr 05, 2012 07:56 pm

Anyone taking it as a supplement?
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: Magnesium

Postby caryn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:49 pm

It doesn't help. :) But there might be other reasons for a doc to prescribe it - I think it's recommended for cluster headaches? - so ask your doc.

Here's a review of studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437225

Lifestyle choices, dietary nutritional measures (antioxidant as vitamin C, vitamin E, lycopene, selenium, zinc, magnesium and the mitochondrial antioxidants nicotine, coenzyme Q(10) and melatonin; and other dietary nutritional measures as low dietary salt, omega 3 fatty acids, folic acid, garlic, nutritional advice, protein and energy supplementation, isocaloric balanced protein and protein and energy restriction for obese women) and others drugs; have not shown benefits or there is insufficient evidence to recommend clinical use.

Supplemental magnesium oxide is also linked to breastfeeding difficulty: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 28&t=21213
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Magnesium

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Apr 05, 2012 09:30 pm

Thanks Caryn! That's pretty much what I found out researching. Just grasping for straws. :D
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Return to Pregnant Again?