Post Reply FAQ Members Login

ANA Positive?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

ANA Positive?

Postby Petunia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 am

When my son was stillborn my doctors ordered just about every blood test possible, the only thing that they found was that I tested ANA positive. I'm not really satisfied with any information I've found on it, but my doctors are at a loss for explaining it. All of the other testing shows that I don't have one of the many diseases that ANA can point to... so they basically just say it "could" mean I will develop RA or Lupis... or it could mean nothing at all. It's frustrating to say the least to have this hanging over my head along with the preeclampsia. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has tested positive for it or if you have any information on it/its relationship with pre-e. Hard not to worry about everything being pregnant again.
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: ANA Positive?

Postby alviarin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:58 pm

by alviarin (1636 Posts), Tue Mar 13, 2012 01:58 pm

Sorry you are dealing with this. I have a positive ANA also (1:640, speckled). All the followup testing came back negative for a whole bunch of antibodies and normal for kidney & liver function tests. The rheumatologist I saw just reccomended an ANA test as part of future annual physicals with my GP, but no further testing unless any weird new symptoms pop-up.

As far as I know a postive ANA alone is not a risk factor for preeclampsia, but some autoimmune disorders are. (like lupus and autoimmune thyroid disease and APS or antiphospholid antibody syndrome). But treatment may lower risks for some.

My understanding is that a high ANA puts you at higher risk of developing an autoimmune disorder down the line, but that it is not a guarantee. And healthy people with no symptoms can have a positive ANA too. Still hard not to worry though. However I remind myself that my relatives with autoimmune disorders, though they suffer from symptom flare-ups at times, manage to lead overall busy and full lives.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue Mar 20, 2012 07:42 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Tue Mar 20, 2012 07:42 pm

I was going to say what Alviarin said, having an autoimmune puts you at risk. I tested positive for ANA about 7 years ago and was diagnosed with Lupus at that time. I have no clue if my preeclampsia in October was linked to my Lupus and pray to God if it was, it won't affect this pregnancy. I know that having a certain antibody (I think it's called Anticoagulant) is known to be responsible for miscarriages in people with Lupus also.
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby kerisue » Wed Mar 21, 2012 05:41 pm

by kerisue (623 Posts), Wed Mar 21, 2012 05:41 pm

I'm struggling with fertility right now and just read an article about ANA+ being associated with infertility, which of course caused me to wonder if it's related to preeclampsia too.

Here is an older thread I found regarding this same topic
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37499

In it one of the moderators says this, "A positive ANA points toward autoimmune problems such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and a whole host of other things. While a positive ANA isn't directly linked as a cause of preeclampsia, an underlying immune system problem can be a risk factor for preeclampsia."

Something to ask your doctor about.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby Petunia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 am

Yea, we did a whole lot of blood work and I was negative for anything else that might indicate any sort of autoimmune disease, lupus anticoagulants and all of those types of tests. Both my MFM and OB have assured me that 3-5% of the population just have positive ANA with no underlying cause... I guess it just seems very coincidental to me. I feel like I'm just going to be waiting to find out I have some horrible disease. :( Of course I'm also scared that something got missed that could hurt this baby too.
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Postby alviarin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:02 pm

by alviarin (1636 Posts), Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:02 pm

For a long time after having severe pre-eclampsia with my son I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I mean if my body failed me once I kept waiting for something else to break down. Fortunately 8 years later all I have is chronic hypertension (though that isn't a big shock with my weight & family history- my grandfather developed chronic hypertension young but it stayed manageable even well into his 90s). And a vitamin D deficiency that is easily fixed with supplements.

Even so my recent positive ANA made me nervous. Lupus is scary, but I remind myself my great-aunt with lupus was active well into her 80s and outlived two husbands.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby amjon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 pm

by amjon (62 Posts), Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 pm

The MFM ordered ANA as one of the preconeption blood tests. She said it could have been a factor in my daughter's death. You may need to take asprin (or more) during pregnancy to help prevent clots/ other issues. Have you talked to a MFM?
ImageImage
amjon

Postby Petunia » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am

Yes, I'm seeing an MFM as well as my OB, I am taking LDA. They just said that ANA positive without any other factors and all other normal blood work could be mean that I will develop some sort of disease or problem down the road, or it could mean nothing at all. They said it's not a test typically done on "healthy" people with no cause for testing, so it's hard to know the exact numbers but that many healthy people just test positive for it. It's just frustrating because I got pre-e, one week later my son passed away, two days later they tell me I test positive for ANA...and yet they tell me all of these things are completely unrelated. I have two wonderful and caring doctors that I am seeing, but it's just hard to accept so many things happening together that are all unrelated and yet all have such low odds of happening to me. I guess I will find it all more believable if this rainbow baby comes home safe and sound and I avoid pre-e.
Petunia

Postby amjon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 08:36 pm

by amjon (62 Posts), Tue Apr 10, 2012 08:36 pm

The MFM also told me that the tests can be positive, then negative, then positive, so if you don't catch it at the right time you may not know what it was. Are they going to treat it as autoimmune and have you take the meds for that?
ImageImage
amjon

Postby Petunia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am

by Petunia (60 Posts), Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am

No, they aren't treating it. Because they did a whole battery of testing and nothing else came back abnormal. I am on LDA, for a few reasons...but that's it.
Petunia

Return to Pregnant Again?