Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia and inflammation

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Preeclampsia and inflammation

Postby mychaelelaine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 07:23 pm

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Thu Apr 19, 2012 07:23 pm

I have lupus, systemic lupus specifically, also fibro. I wondered for years how to get rid of inflammation since every issue related to lupus seemed to involve inflammation. For pain, I was initially prescribed ibuprofen which we all know is an anti-inflammatory. My rheumatologist wanted to prescribe Prednisone after several medications didn't work. I took low dosages like Medrol Dose Pak and Depo Medrol. They worked very temporarily. So, with arthritis in my back that had me not sleeping and literally wanting to cry all day, my mother researched, researched, and researched. She found out about Candida Cleanses. This suggested that we all have yeast in our bodies and certain food products trigger inflammation and cause PAIN! Some of those foods include white flour, white sugar, yeast, cheese, and night shade vegetables (green peppers, tomatoes, and white potatoes). I promise you guys, I was shocked beyond belief. I started this new way of living on a monday, January of 2010 and four days later, I was literally back to my old self. I've been sharing this story with everyone who has any type of pain. I had my energy back for the past two years and little (nothing to complain about) pain. Right now I do have increased joint ache I assume because I'm pregnant but it's still nothing really (in comparison) to complain about. So, sorry for the long introduction but I wanted to set the stage for my question.

I've been reading and see that there is some link to inflammation:

"pre-eclampsia can develop in the presence of a normal placenta in women that are susceptible to systemic inflammation, such as with chronic cardiovascular disease or diabetes. While clinical management of pre-eclampsia does not currently include anti-inflammatory agents, current research is focusing on ways to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress."

So, my question is, has anyone done any research about this? I definitely am continuing to avoid any type of bread products, white flour, sugar, cheese, and nightshade veggies. My rheumatologist has not supported my yeast/sugar/flour free diet so I don't expect any western medical practitioner to do so. Just wondering what you guys think? And if you've tried a sugar/flour/yeast free diet?
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Re: Preeclampsia and inflammation

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:35 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:35 am

I don't know if anyone's researched this diet per se, but so far essentially all research into modifiable lifestyle factors has turned up "no result." Inflammation is just the body's innate immune response to foreign organs, and in preeclampsia, the foreign organ that our immune systems are all worked up about is the placenta. And there's no way to make that not be a foreign organ, kwim?

There's a possibility that in some people, the additional inflammatory burden of pregnancy added to their high baseline inflammation levels triggers the preeclampsia syndrome, but that is looking somewhat less likely as research proceeds, except possibly in the case of obesity, where lowering BMI preconception may lower risk of preeclampsia. They're still trying to work that out; we officially say that the correlation between obesity and preeclampsia is probably because of underlying genetic predispositions to *both* become obese in a modern environment *and* develop preeclampsia .
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks Caryn. I haven't read about my specific diet either. I'm just curious. Doctors practicing western medicine I believe want us to stay ill so we keep coming back and get prescriptions. I'll just continue with my diet and be very strict. Won't hurt. My rheumatologist also said there's no evidence that modifying lifestyle (diet) works. It does. ;)
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 20, 2012 05:14 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Fri Apr 20, 2012 05:14 pm

When I say "no evidence" I mean "no evidence that it helps with preeclampsia." The thing about Western medical ethics is that it is unethical for docs not to recommend you to the therapy with the best evidence; otherwise they're just making stuff up. So they advise you about the things that are known to work.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:08 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:08 am

They want you to keep coming back. :) I'm not to keen on many doctors right about now if you can't tell. I still take plaquenil for lupus. I tried to go without for 6 months and couldn't but all the others, including steroids are gone.

Anyway, i decided to keep doing what I've been doing. Inflammation plays a huge role in so many illnesses. Instead of focusing all attention on medicine that causes other issues, I am continuing to find a way to try and solve the problem. My diet has drastically helped my lupus and fibromyalgia. It can't hurt at all. All you're doing is not eating foods that are horrible for you anyway. I don't see how recommending we stay away from horrible foods is unethical. Salt, high blood pressure. Sugar, diabetes. Yeast, who would want to eat yeast anyway??? Lol. I know it tastes good but when you know what it does to an already delicate body, you have to refrain. Anyway, never mind me. I don't like Western medicine @ all. Overall. I think there's a huge conspiracy.
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am

It's unethical for doctors to recommend things for which there's no evidence base. If there's evidence, sure - and if you've found that it helps your lupus symptoms, great! - but it always makes me twitchy in the context of preeclampsia. If I'm reading your post correctly, you'd agree (given your history) that eating this diet which reduced some of your symptoms of other conditions didn't prevent or obviously ameliorate your preeclampsia. And I'm just saying that makes sense, because in preeclampsia the inflammation in question is an innate immune response to the foreign proteins produced by the placenta, which is not, genetically speaking, part of our bodies.

There's evidence that salt restriction helps some people who are salt-sensitive hypertensives, and evidence that modifying diet helps diabetics, so docs are free to recommend those lifestyle modifications to patients.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

That's the thing, I did eat yeast, flour, and sugar while pregnant. Since I wasn't supposed to solely low carb while pregnant, I started to every now and then have sandwiches, cheese, night shade veggies, ice cream (sugar) etc. Things I hadn't eaten for the past 2 years. So no, I wasn't strictly eliminating all the things that trigger inflammation.

Anyway, thanks a bunch. You answered my question. Lol. As far as you know, there's no evidence regarding my diet per se and preeclampsia. I'll see how it turns out. Thanks caryn.
mychaelelaine

Postby alviarin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 09:56 am

by alviarin (1635 Posts), Thu Apr 26, 2012 09:56 am

My sisters have done awesome on yeast free diets in the past, but it turns out one is allergic to wheat and one probably has celiac (has gene & symptoms, just not had a biopsy to definitively diagnose). We are all on thyroid meds too.

I believe I'm intolerant to gluten, since it is a delayed migraine trigger for me. My aunt with lupus & RA also does better on a gluten free diet. In our family at least gluten sensitiviity seems to go hand and hand with autoimmune disorders and low vitamin D. When my vitamin D or thyroid levels were low in the past I have also experienced bone pain.

I dunno if diet will help chances of pre-e any, but for me at least I have less headaches & migraines now on a gluten free diet. I don't know if there is a connection or not but my morning sickness has been better this time around also.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 am

by mychaelelaine (195 Posts), Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 am

interesting! i don't have a clue if a gluten free diet will help even 1% but i figure it's worth a try. ya know? that's so awesome that you feel better gluten free and other family members. i just think there's a link. it seems that everything with my body (low platelet count, elevated liver enzymes, chest pain, arthritis, fibro, etc etc) is linked to inflammation. soooo, how do i get rid of the inflammation. i was on my way to taking steroids after flexerill, lyrica, neurontin other meds didn't work. i tried adding so much to my diet (selenium, fish oil, flax seed oil, pineapple) but it seemed to do nothing. once i eliminated all yeast, flour, sugar i felt like i was healed! so, lo and behold i google inflammation and pre-e and come up with information. i figure it can't hurt! thanks for your input!
mychaelelaine

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 07:06 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Mon Apr 30, 2012 07:06 pm

Well, the way to get rid of inflammation is to get rid of whatever your innate immune system is reacting to - and if it reacts to those foods, then eliminating them will reduce inflammation levels. The trick is that a predisposition to react to foreign proteins is a predisposition to react to foreign proteins, and placentas are foreign, and you can't eliminate them until delivery...

The good news, though, is that second pregnancies often go much better because the spiral artery remodeling from the first pregnancy makes it easier for the second placenta to embed. I'm not sure how true that is in lupus patients, who just have generally annoyed immune systems, but I'm pretty sure they are still supposed to have a lower risk of PE in a second pregnancy.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?