When will I feel normal after HELLP

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

When will I feel normal after HELLP

Postby AClore » Sun May 06, 2012 03:17 pm

Monday the 30th I was rushed into an emergency c-section. Laying on the surgery table I had a seizure and blood pressure through the roof. I had to have a platelet transfusion and now I am just curious. Will i have to deal with this anxiety and blood pressure issue for a long time or does it get better? I really need a friend and support yo help me feel better.
AClore

Re: When will I feel normal after HELLP

Postby tree » Sun May 06, 2012 03:31 pm

I am sorry that you had to go through all of that, but I am glad that you found us. It takes some times for the physical symptoms to subside, and most of us struggle with the anxiety and emotional issues surrounding PE for a while. I think I started feeling better a few weeks after my daughter was born. It took me over a year to feel "normal". Most women seem to bounce back a little more quickly than that. It takes a lot to recover from a serious illness, major surgery, and adapt to life after birth. How are your BPs now? We have posters who return to pre-pregnancy BPs in a few weeks or months, others become chronic hypertensives who may need medication for a while. Have your doctors given you any guidance on your blood pressure, meds, recovery, or anything like that?
Take care of yourself, and welcome to the forum!
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Sun May 06, 2012 04:37 pm

When I left the hospital my bp were steady at 145/90. They said as long as they werent fluctuating it was ok. I had to stay in there for 5 days. I think the worst of it all is my dr could of stopped all of this. I had every sign and symptom and he ignored them all and the hospital called me their test case. I was not happy at all. The anxiety of it all is the.real kicker. Always wondering if im going to seize again or pass out. The what if game ugh. I am on adolmet or something like that 3most times a day. Also dr gave me celexa for the anxiety but i hate taking pills and I am breast feeding. So glad i was referred to this site. I didnt want to.struggle in silene.
AClore

Postby tree » Sun May 06, 2012 06:03 pm

I think you will get some better input on BP, meds, and anxiety in the next couple of days. You can always call your doctor if you think you need to consider some different medication options of if you think that what you have isn't working. KellyMom is a great resource for medication safety while breastfeeding, and a lactation consultant should be able to help you with that as well. It is a delicate balance between taking care of yourself and taking care of your baby. I had to learn to take care of myself the hard way. Maybe we all do... If it helps, high BPs can contribute to anxiety. It is possible that some of the anxiety is related to uncontrolled BPs if your meds aren't exactly right. Post-partum hormones DO NOT help either. A lot of this could pass. It takes a while to work through the fact that you seized, that you might have received better care, and that things really didn't go according to plan.

You don't have to go through this alone. We are here, usually at almost all hours. I hope you continue to feel a little better each day.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Sun May 06, 2012 06:44 pm

I have a dr appt on Wednesday with my ob and going to talk to him. While I was in the hospital he passed me off to the house dr. He knows he messed up big time with me. I feel cheated in alot of ways but also very grateful that GOD gave me a healthy baby boy!!! Thank you so much for the help and excuse my constant anxiety about the situation.
AClore

Postby tree » Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 pm

I hope your appointment goes well on Wednesday. I found it much easier to deal with the emotional and mental health challenges after I started to physically recover. I took baby steps for a long time. It helps a lot to focus on that healthy baby boy. He is a tremendous blessing. Congrats on his arrival! Are you both at home now?
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Tue May 08, 2012 09:59 am

I feel like if my bp would just get back to normal I wouldnt have so much anxiety. Im constantly worried that its going to spike again even though im sure it wont. When did you start to feel normal? My little guy arrived healthy at 38 weeks!!
AClore

Postby AClore » Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am

Since my body is on the mend will this come back. I was reading that in some cases women develop HELLO after delivery but since I had it before delivery and my body is already on the mend will it come back?
AClore

Postby kerisue » Tue May 08, 2012 01:44 pm

I did not have HELLP, but skyrocketing BP did contribute to my diagnosis of PE and the docs' decision to deliver me. My bp went down fairly rapidly after I gave birth, but I have continued on bp meds. From being on the forum for the last couple of years it seems that the amount of time it takes one's bp to go back down to normal varies widely. Some need to stay on meds only for a short time (if at all) and others will now need it for life. What you went through was so traumatic that some anxiety is normal. I hope your doc listened fully to all your concerns and you are seeing symptoms decrease slowly but surely.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby AClore » Tue May 08, 2012 02:26 pm

Praying its fast. The anxiety is the worse. I am breast feeding and not sure what i can take for it. I want my life back so i can focus my energy on my daughter and new little boy..
AClore

Next

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders