Marginal instertion of the umbilical cord?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Marginal instertion of the umbilical cord?

Postby Petunia » Mon May 14, 2012 04:21 pm

We just had our anatomy scan and while baby is measuring perfectly and fluid looks good... they discovered that I have a marginal insertion of the cord. He said it's not a big deal and that we'll be watching me closely anyways so it won't change our plans... but I really didn't need anything to be more nervous about. I'm worried that he wouldn't really tell me if it was a concern because he knows I'm already terrified. Does anyone have any experience with this or knowledge on it?
Married the love of my life 7/11/2009
Our first child, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping at 33 weeks on Oct. 25th 2011. Developed pre-e at 32 weeks.
Pregnant again with what I pray is our rainbow baby, due Oct. 14th 2012. Will induce labor no later than 38 weeks if we make it that far!
Petunia

Re: Marginal instertion of the umbilical cord?

Postby alviarin » Wed May 16, 2012 02:37 pm

Sorry I don't know anything about cord insertion.

If you are worried the doc is being is too positive, you could always ask more specific questions at your next appointment. Maybe come prepared with a list of questions like "Does this condition increase my or baby's risks in any way? If so, how? How frequently does this occur in normal healthy pregnancies," etc.

I did find an old ask the expert response (to a question regarding pre-e & infant loss) where the expert said they weren't aware of any connection between pre-e and marginal cord insertion. http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 117&p=7706

Good luck, please keep us posted if you learn anything else at your next appointment.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?