Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Daughter's second pregnancy - grief and panic attacks

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Daughter's second pregnancy - grief and panic attacks

Postby mochajunkie4 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:49 pm

by mochajunkie4 (2 Posts), Thu May 17, 2012 11:49 pm

My daughter had undiagnosed preeclampsia last year. She had seizures in the middle of the night, the paramedics were able to resuscitate her, but her baby died. She was 28 weeks pregnant. She suffered massive panic attacks for several months after. Then every so often after that. She is so afraid to die. Now she is pregnant again, about 12 weeks. She is having panic attacks and always feeling like she is having symptoms. She is on high risk but still so scared. I wish I knew what to do to help her. I was with her the night she almost died and now she clings to me, thinking that I can save her if something happens. I do not know what to do!
mochajunkie4

Re: Daughter's second pregnancy - grief and panic attacks

Postby leeann34 » Fri May 18, 2012 07:24 pm

by leeann34 (137 Posts), Fri May 18, 2012 07:24 pm

Loosing a child and almost one's life is a very traumatic experience. I too lost my child to preeclampsia but did not have seizures. Has she tried going to therapy/counseling? It is very common for women who have had preeclampsia/eclampsia to experience post-traumatic stress syndrome. It is a fact supported by research. I am 15 weeks pregnant and believe me I am scared too. In fact being pregnant makes me think more about what happened in my previous pregnancy and you do relive the grief of loosing that child. My doctor said that is only the natural thing to do because that is all I have to compare it to (my previous pregnancy). I have considered going to a counselor to discuss/talk about the emotional and psychological impact of having preeclampsia....something which I feel that most doctors leave out. I feel they only focus on the physcial aspect of pregnancy... at least that has been my experience. Are there any support groups available? Would she be interested in talking on this forum? There are many women on here who have experienced similiar losses that could talk with her. I really do hope that her pregnancy continues to progress without any complications.
leeann34

Return to Pregnant Again?