1 more week to go! Any tips?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

1 more week to go! Any tips?

Postby danielsmom » Tue May 29, 2012 04:40 pm

Our scheduled C section is only 7 days away at 38 weeks and 3 days! This pregnancy has been SO enjoyable and... night and day different from my last. I thought I would be such a stress case this time, so I allowed myself certain liberties that I didn't with my son's pregnancy. I even rode my horse until about 21 weeks, though I rode like a grandma. I've enjoyed warm baths without looking at a stupid thermometer. I eat what I want. It's been long and boring and bliss! Our worst problem has been low-normal fluid levels for the last few weeks, but it appears to not be lowering.

I go back in Friday for a final check, then Tuesday is baby girl's birthday! Anyone have any tips or comments for the next week, special things to pack, the C section, or breastfeeding? It will be nice to actually be awake during this C section, especially without the mag bag to follow! And nice to get to have my husband there. I hope my pain will be controlled enough to allow me to try to breastfeed. I couldn't sit up for 2-3 days after my last, which they say was because of the pre-e & HELLP. I know it can take awhile for the milk to come in following a section... I guess they just bottle feed the baby until I catch up? How long do they wait until they bottle feed?
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Re: 1 more week to go! Any tips?

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue May 29, 2012 04:56 pm

Lol! I have no idea, but I am so super excited for you!

When it comes to the breastfeeding, if you're lookin' to breastfeed, I'd steer away from the bottles when baby is first born. The suckling and all the ups, downs on all arounds of those first few hours/days figuring out breastfeeding all help milk come in- though take with a grain of salt since I've never breastfed after a c/s only after a vaginal birth.

Wow... 7 days 38 weeks plus! So stinkin' awesome! :D
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby mychaelelaine » Tue May 29, 2012 06:26 pm

I dont have any tips, just wanted to say good luck, God bless, and yay!!
10/17/2011 ~ Mychael Elaine was born sleeping. We miss and will always love you!
9/16/2012 ~ Michael Leon was born, God is so good! Severe pre-e again, induced at 34 weeks, c-section due to baby's heart decelerating with each contraction. 1 week in NICU. I'm done! :)
mychaelelaine

Postby cmccaffrey » Tue May 29, 2012 07:28 pm

I agree with momtimesthree. Try to nurse as MUCH AS POSSIBLE before introducing the bottle and you will have an easier time in the end. And make sure you get that lactation consultant in your room as often as you can because you will be having an extended stay with the c-section. I am SO excited for you and cannot wait to see that baby girls photo up in the next week! xox
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby angieb » Tue May 29, 2012 09:47 pm

I breastfed for 12.5 months, without a drop of formula for DS, following my 36-week c-section. DS lost weight, a lot of weight, in the hospital after he was born, and we were VERY VERY pressured to just give him formulas/bottles. He was awake and alert often, wanting/trying to nurse, and having plenty of wet/dirty diapers so we refused and are really glad we did. A lot of people get into the trap of supplementing in the hospital with formula (sometimes I am sure it is necessary but in our case it definitely wasn't) and their supply often never completely recovers. I recommend you keep track of diapers and nursing times in the hospital, just so if they do pressure you, you have that to back you up. They gave me the worst advice that he should only be eating every 3 hours for 15 minutes...uh, no....he needed to eat every 2 hours or so for 45ish minutes. Keep in mind that their stomachs are teeny tiny early on (the size of a marble) so they do not need to get a lot to be just fine. You have likely already been leaking colostrum in pregnancy-that stuff is very calorie rich and your baby only needs a little bit to be full before your milk comes in. Nurse as often and for as long as the baby wants, as soon as possible. Lots of skin to skin time with the baby on your chest will help your milk come in too.

They do not like for babies to lose more than 10% of their birth weight. However, when you have a c-section, you are given fluids before the baby is born and that adds falsely to their weight, some of their weight loss is just from that. DS ended up losing 11 or 12 % of his birth weight (which earned us an extra day of being stuck there) largely because their crappy advice, once I fed him as often and for as long as they wanted, he started gaining like crazy and we never looked back. Our pediatrician (who doesn't do hospital rounds or else our experience would have been a lot better) told me that their daughter lost like 13-14% of her birth weight while they were waiting for the milk to come in...they let them leave only b/c they were 2 ped's, and their daughter successfully breastfed without supplementing for over a year. So anyway, don't let it freak you out. The baby will definitely lose some weight at first, it is normal and not a sign you need to start supplementing. If they do make you supplement, try pumping and giving the baby breastmilk before formula.

Try to avoid nipple shields if you can, yes, they make it hurt less but they can cause supply issues and they baby may not get as much milk/colostrum when you use them. My hospital had lazy lactation consultants who preferred to just give new mom's nipple shields instead of helping them actually learn to latch the baby without it. Nursing actually got a lot easier once we figured it out without them.

Good luck! I am so excited for you!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby claricemaala » Wed May 30, 2012 01:30 am

Congratulations!!!! All I can say is enjoy every moment and take lots of pictures.
Mom to 6 year old. Born at 33 1/2 weeks after preeclampsia and abruptio placenta.
Angel boy -Michael- born 2/1/2010 at 31 weeks. Had pre eclampsia and hospital bedrest at 27 weeks. Died due to NEC. Forever loved and missed
Rainbow baby due Feb 2012. Hoping for a looooonnnnnnngggg uneventful pregnancy.
claricemaala

Postby jean » Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am

So excited for you! With my 2nd babe I was able to bf right after babe was cleaned up and I was sewn back together. So we didn't wait at all!
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby ktsl123 » Wed May 30, 2012 03:00 pm

I am sooooooooo happy for you! Sounds like a dream come true!
Son born healthy at 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks +2 days due to Severe PE on 7-21-09
ktsl123

Postby lennoxlm1 » Wed May 30, 2012 03:33 pm

It's coming up so fast! My second c-section went allot easier and I healed much faster, number one rule is drink a ton of water! This will help reduce swelling and also help milk supply, carb yourself up too, I found eating oatmeal for breakfast helped bring the milk in. As soon as you can try to nurse and nurse often! I am so excited for you! Praying you have the best last week of your pregnancy!
Lee and Melissa,
Delilah 4 years old, born at 38 weeks. Isaac 3 years old born at 36 weeks due to pre-e. Shiloh 2 years old born at 37 weeks due to high b/p.
lennoxlm1

Postby danielsmom » Wed May 30, 2012 08:46 pm

Oh my goodness, you guys are the best! Thanks for the well wishes and the detailed insights on healthy C sections and breastfeeding.

Angieb - 12.5 months, that's awesome! I'm a numbers girl to a fault, so your post really helped with the nursing intervals and weight loss expectations. When you nurse every 2 hours, and it takes up to 45 minutes... you're spending a lot of time nursing! But sooooo much better than pumping, washing, bottling, feeding, washing.... It reminded me of how much I'm going to want privacy in my room. ;) I talked to my husband last night about moderating that for me. People are already asking about when the baby will be born so they can come and see her. It's nice, but I'm already not looking forward to the parade. Does that sound awful of me? Last time I had some guy from work show up that I barely knew (and hubby was gone), and he camped out in my room for like an hour! It was creepy! I told the nurses NO VISITORS after that, then felt bad because close friends showed up and were told to leave.

My LC just messaged me on Facebook and echoed everything you guys said. She said no bottling should be needed unless there is a medical reason. She also told me how many wet & dirty diapers to expect on each day. This is like a whole new education! I feel like a first time mom again.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?