Post Reply FAQ Members Login

preconceived notions about PreE

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

preconceived notions about PreE

Postby cmccaffrey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 am

by cmccaffrey (458 Posts), Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 am

Don't you just hate hearing how uninformed some people are about Preeclampsia? It makes me angry and frustrated. Thinks like "eat less salt" makes me want to bite a person's head off. Literally, do they think I spent my entire pregnancy with a salt shaker attached to my hip. I didn't eat anything but cereal until I was 20 weeks pregnant because that's all I could keep down. After that I watched what I ate and was very healthy. Of course every pregnant person should watch their salt intake, but it's not going to keep good ol' preeclampsia from showing up.

Wow... if that wasn't a hormone flare I don't know what is....
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: preconceived notions about PreE

Postby alviarin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 02:21 pm

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Mon Jun 27, 2011 02:21 pm

I know what you mean, I get irritated every time I hear a certain diet will prevent pre-e. Don't I just wish!

Unfortunately now that I'm "chronic hypertensive" I've noticed I'm salt-sensitive. So for me less salt can help my blood pressure numbers, pregnancy status nonwithstanding.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby mmiller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 00:23 am

by mmiller (5 Posts), Thu Dec 29, 2011 00:23 am

I keep getting asked if I was overweight with the first, if I ever smoked, and if I ate like crap. The answer is no. I had/was/did none of those but thank you for asking. They always then ask well then how did you get pre-e??? I'm also getting really, really sick of people telling me to just forget about it because what will happen will happen. I know all that but it's not entirely that easy to forget. Helpless is a pretty sucky feeling.

I'm kind of having flashbacks to when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the genius filling in for my doc kept saying they couldn't believe the results were right because I wasn't getting fat and was I sure I didn't want to try an antidepressant before treating my way too high TSH levels. I came in to get checked out because I fell asleep standing up in places like the grocery store more than once and my hair was falling out in gobs. Couldn't believe she'd suggest ignoring my labs & treating a problem I didn't have just because I didn't have the number one sign they check for. Not everyone fits neatly into the box.
mmiller

Postby alviarin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am

mmiller wrote:I'm kind of having flashbacks to when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and the genius filling in for my doc kept saying they couldn't believe the results were right because I wasn't getting fat and was I sure I didn't want to try an antidepressant before treating my way too high TSH levels. I came in to get checked out because I fell asleep standing up in places like the grocery store more than once and my hair was falling out in gobs. Couldn't believe she'd suggest ignoring my labs & treating a problem I didn't have just because I didn't have the number one sign they check for. Not everyone fits neatly into the box.

Wow it is amazing how some docs can be clueless about thyroid problems, especially considering how common they are. Your doc sounds like my first endocrinologist. She told me that she could tell I didn't have a thyroid problem just by looking at me, I was just "depressed." I was like uh, no, I am just tired all the time and my legs hurt. And I'm gaining weight which has never been a problem before. She told me to go on a diet and grudgingly offered to test my TSH to have a future baseline because of my family history of thyroid disease. Not only did she tell me I didn't have a thyroid problem before running any labs, she didn't even bother physically manipulate my thyroid gland which I know now is a huge red flag (um if someone is complaining of thyroid problems you should check their neck!).

My next endo was awesome though, she had actually done thyroid related research as a student. She put me on thyroid meds and gee my symptoms dissappeared and my goiter shrank.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:29 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Fri Jan 06, 2012 08:29 am

It is amazing how many people "know" that preemies are caused by the mom doing it wrong. Yeah, not so much.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby wooleybear » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am

by wooleybear (44 Posts), Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am

It made me so mad when I went to the doctor several times about the edema and I went into the office just crying I was in so much pain from walking. The doctor asked "If I was depressed, this is the 2nd time I talked to you and you were crying". I said "maybe I am but more so Im in soooooooooooo much pain that is why Im crying". Then he gave me a shrink to go talk to. Im surprised he didn't give me meds. This is when I decided to take a look at my diet. No he didn't tell me to limit my salt to a certain number or anything, I came up with that on my own holistic research, and geez the swelling went down, I wasn't crying or in pain and didn't need to talk to anyone. It eventually wasn't enough to stop the pre e though. I just can't believe a preggo can't come in crying cause she is in pain, she must be depressed, are you kidding me. I watched an episode on 60 mins on how depression rates have gone up, but really are just diagnosing right away because in this fake world, you must be smiling every minute and happy, one onslaught of sadness for a week must mean your depressed. please, what happened to people experiencing emotions anymore??????
wooleybear

Return to Misc