Pregnant with #2

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pregnant with #2

Postby meli554 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here. I just found out that I am pregnant with #2. I am very excited, but also a little nervous.

A little bit of history (sorry if this gets long!): I was induced at 34 weeks with my son. I felt like things were all over the place from the time they suspected preeclampsia to when I was being induced!

I started getting high BPs (150s/100) around 32 weeks, with trace protein found on the dipstick so I was sent to the hospital triage, but BPs came down so I was sent home to monitor BPs at home. The following week I got a 167/101 BP reading along with a headache, so I was sent to hospital triage and then admitted for monitoring because of elevated creatinine of 1.3 and to do a 24-hour urine catch. The next day, my creatinine came down to 1.0 but my ALT/SGPT was elevated at 45. Later that day, I developed a bad headache and my BPs were 170s-180s/100s so I was given a betamethasone shot and transferred to L&D. However in L&D, my BPs came down and my headache felt better with compazine. I had only been 17 hours in to my urine catch, so they sent what they had to the lab, but I continued to catch it and then they sent the remainder to the lab and added the values together, which ended up being 306. My regular doctor was not convinced that I had preeclampsia and didn't like the adding of the two values together so he wanted me to do another one.

In the meantime, my creatinine came down to 0.8 and my ALT to 28, and my BPs would sometimes be in the mild range and sometimes in the severe range, so they weren't sure what to do with me. My 2nd urine catch came back at 376 and then with in a day my AST/SGOT went from 30 to 40, and my platelets decreased from 207 to 183 and I started to feel some discomfort in my RUQ so they moved for delivery.

I have made an appointment for a consult with a MFM, but I am wondering what questions I need to ask? Anybody have any thoughts/advice for me? Thanks, I really appreciate it!

- Melissa
meli554

Re: Pregnant with #2

Postby trish » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:28 am

Welcome! Congrats on your 2nd pregnancy! :) I deleted your cross post because we don't allow that. It makes searching for posts confusing. I think you'll get the most response here.

Some questions you'd probably want to ask a MFM are: What will my care would consist of during pregnancy: how often to see MFM vs. OB visits. When will additional monitoring begin: U/S, NST, BPP, labs? Would it be helpful to do a 24 hour baseline - and when? Sometimes it helps to actually make a list of questions you have and take it with you to make sure you get all your concerns addressed.
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?