Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Re: What does the abdominal pain feel like?

Postby Nadenet1229 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:19 pm

by Nadenet1229 (41 Posts), Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:19 pm

Guess I'm odd man out. My liver enzymes shot up and my platelets dropped right after I entered the emergency room due to my bp reading being high. I never had any pain in my abdomen or anything like that. Maybe it was because my liver didnt really start to react until I was already in the hospital and they got on me right away. I wasnt allowed an epidural because my platelet count was too low.

I'm glad to read this post. I was wondering what it would be described like in case something like this happens again.
Mother to Joseph Lovelace Touchet Jr born on 5/11/11 at 22 weeks due to Preeclampsia and HELLP. Born straight into God's arms. Love you my angel.
Nadenet1229

Postby toes_in_the_sand » Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:42 pm

by toes_in_the_sand (6 Posts), Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:42 pm

The day I was diagnosed (and induced) I went in & randomly complained that I thought that I was having indigestion. They freaked out & I delivered soon after. My pain was never severe- but constant & bothersome & definitely HELLP. I have still never had actual indigestion so I can't really compare the two- but that was what I thought it was.
Stephanie
Momma to 2 beautiful little girls:
DD#1 born at 35.0 due to pre-e/HELLP in March '09
DD#2 born at 33.2 due to pre-e November '10

I also have a weird HR issue where my resting HR (even sleeping) is 120+ while PG only. Would love to find other people who have had a similar experience or have a guess as to what is going on as my drs are stumped.
toes_in_the_sand

Postby shellyk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

by shellyk (2 Posts), Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

I was never diagnosed with HELLP but I'm pretty sure I had it. I was 17 when my first child was born. The night I went in to labor the pain started. It started in my right side & went around my back. I never slept that night. Hot showers helped the most. My mom finally got up about 5:30 a.m. & said I was having back labor. I just knew it hurt so bad I thought I was going to die. My mom could tell when I was having a contraction but for me the "other" pain was so bad & constant that I never knew. I had already been on bed rest for 3 weeks for what they called toxemia, now called pre-eclampsia. This all happened in 1984 so I doubt the rural doctor I saw even knew what he was dealing with. My weekly appointment was scheduled for that morning and the doctor said I was dilated to a 3 & told me to check in to the hospital. My bp was very high & I had protein in my urine, was very nauseous, threw up in the labor room, was seeing spots & was completely terrified. I had just been a coach to my sister doing a home child birth 9 months earlier so I thought I was a complete wimp. No one ever really believed me when I said how much pain I was in. I was never told the baby was in distress but I know he was constantly kicking & moving. They finally gave me a little demerol late that afternoon to take the edge off but it didn't. The doctor finally came to the hospital about 5:45 that afternoon. By then I was almost incoherent from pain. I don't remember much of it but I know I was immediately taken to the operating room & my son was born at 6:23 p.m. He weighed 9 # 13 oz. I was very thin when I got pregnant, about 90 pounds. I gained 60 pounds during pregnancy. I didn't have sonograms or anything else to see how big he was. They did labs twice a day every day for the 3 days I was in the hospital. I have always wondered about so many things that happened during labor & afterwards but I think after reading this forum I now understand. I think I almost died that day. Did I have HELLP?
shellyk

Postby tree » Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:50 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:50 pm

Hi Shelly,
I don't think it is possible to diagnose HELLP without doing some blood work, but your symptoms are all consistent with possible HELLP. You could probably get your medical records to see if they did any lab work while you were there. It might be hard after such a long time. I am sorry you got so sick and scared. The pain from HELLP can be absolutely awful, and I remember feeling certain that I would die too. It is a terrible disease. Feel free to start a new thread in this forum if you want some more responses to your post. Welcome to the forum.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby shellyk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 08:47 am

by shellyk (2 Posts), Wed Mar 21, 2012 08:47 am

Tree,
Thanks for responding. I tried to get medical records two years ago when I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I wanted to do a VBAC but current ob/gyn wanted to make sure the internal incision was vertical. The hospital only kept records for 10 years & I couldn't find the doctor after extensive research & contacting my state medical board. Luckily I didn't get pre e the 2nd time around even though I am in my 40's, had donor egg IVF, and bp issues towards the end. My 2nd child was born via c-section at 38 weeks & was 8 # 3 oz. because of labile bp. I don't think I will ever know for sure. I was just curious what other people thought. I think I had too many symptoms not to have had it but who knows. I am now pregnant with the 3rd one at 44 & was just looking at worst case scenario since my beta's are pretty high & a little concerned about identical twins. I know w/o the lab records there is no way to definitively know but I still feel better somehow knowing I wasn't completely crazy about the pain. I know they were really concerned about seizures & at least they did the c-section before that happened. It was a bad experience but it could have been a whole lot worse! Thanks again for the input.
shellyk

Postby amyjo_000 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 03:41 pm

by amyjo_000 (3 Posts), Tue Apr 10, 2012 03:41 pm

The pain I felt was on my right side under/around my rib cage. I called my doctor the first time I felt it and she brushed it off to ligament pains. She said because I was so small everything was having to stretch and that was the cause of the pain. After being diagnosised with HELLP Syndrome I realized it wasn't ligament pain.
amyjo_000

Postby Lisabug77 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 08:00 am

by Lisabug77 (8 Posts), Fri Apr 27, 2012 08:00 am

I've been getting random sharp stabbing pain in my upper right abdomen as well. It's terrible pain, but it helps if I sit straight up.
Sometimes the pain radiates into my right shoulder and down my arm. My back, like on the right side deep inside under or around my shoulder blade also hurts like a terribly pulled or tight or muscle spasm. It's so intense I can hardly stand it!
I believe my liver enzymes read that they were okay last week, but this pain in my abdomen is getting worse and more frequent.
What do you all think?? Is this related? Btw I don't have a fall bladder.
Lisa 33, Tyler 33.
Lacie Marie 12/27/03 induced at 41 weeks due to no amniotic fluid.
Sophie Jean 03/02/06 induced at 37+2 weeks due to stopped growth, low fluid.
Liam Tyler 04/30/12 induced at 35+4 weeks due to preeclampsia complications.

I have been diagnosed with: Endometriosis, borderline PCOS, Interstitial Cystitis (IC), IBS, GERD, Gastritis, Degenerative Disc Disease, severe Sleep Apnea (rare form), Fibromyalgia, Depression/Anxiety, wide variety of allergies.
Lisabug77

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am

Liver enzymes can get dramatically higher in hours - I would want to rule out the chance that it's HELLP, in your shoes.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby mnickerson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am

by mnickerson (15 Posts), Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am

For me it felt like I had been punched in the stomach...and sort of like the onset of food poisoning. I lost my appetite. As it progressed, it felt like stabbing. All of the pain was concentrated on the top middle of my "bump". If I'd had even the slightest idea that HELLP existed, I'd have gone into the hospital right away. Instead, I went in a day later. I probably would have not gotten so severe if I'd have gone in sooner, but I just chalked it up to the discomforts of being pregnant. Definitely go in if you have even the slightest suspicion that you have HELLP!
mnickerson

Postby KelliMeyer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 am

by KelliMeyer (4 Posts), Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 am

The pain felt like a heart attack for me (minus the arm pain) - it was horrible and didn't go away with pain meds. The pain was both in my chest and in between my shoulder blades. It was a debilitating pain - and your body just doesn't "feel right"
Mother of a little girl born at 24 1/7 weeks (550g - 1lb 3oz) and survivor of severe class 1 HELLP syndrome.
KelliMeyer

PreviousNext

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders